PC randomly freezes. Getting tired of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry but I've never had problems with Vista and Nivida, I've been on vista and an 8600GT on my other system for over a year and never had a freeze even when overclocking and on 3dmark.

The random freezing is from nvidia drivers. The drivers and vista dont get along, me and my friend, both nvidia cards (8800gt and 9800gtx) and vista ultimate have this random freezing problem. I don't think theres a fix.

If you search "vista random freezing nvidia" ull see alot of ppl have the same problem.

I re-installed vista, but it just came back, ima revert back to windows xp this weekend.

****, thats what I feared, bkolk. However, my old 8800 GTS never gave me any problems under Vista 64-bit. Maybe its just certain cards?

I don't know what to do now. I'm tempted to just put my 9800 GX2 on ebay and buy a different card.

The random freezing is from nvidia drivers. The drivers and vista dont get along, me and my friend, both nvidia cards (8800gt and 9800gtx) and vista ultimate have this random freezing problem. I don't think theres a fix.

If you search "vista random freezing nvidia" ull see alot of ppl have the same problem.

I re-installed vista, but it just came back, ima revert back to windows xp this weekend.

um dude i dont know what your talking about i have ultimate and a 9800gtx and never had random frezing

um dude i dont know what your talking about i have ultimate and a 9800gtx and never had random frezing

I'm not saying that the graphics card IS the problem, philbar. I've practically exhausted all my efforts to correct this problem and tbh I'm at my wits end...I have read that the 9800 GX2 (my model, not the GTX, like yours) does have some problems with heat and 790i chipsets. Once again, it might be a load of bull, but I'm clutching at straws now!

Maybe its a possible PSU problem? I don't know. What are common symptoms for a bad PSU, apart from a PC not being able to switch on and boot to the OS?

ohh sorry i wasn't attacking your statment. my response was to the dude who said the nvidia drivers caused random freezes in vista. and dont worry your not alone me and my dad built a pc with a q9450 and a xfx 790i ultra with 6gb of ocz ram. and that thing is very unstable unless we put all the voltages up on every thing. the ram is at 1.95 and it runs now stable almost all night. but the weird thing is that it ram memtest for like 12 hours and did 4 passes and no errors. so we think it's the mobo.

ohh sorry i wasn't attacking your statment. my response was to the dude who said the nvidia drivers caused random freezes in vista. and dont worry your not alone me and my dad built a pc with a q9450 and a xfx 790i ultra with 6gb of ocz ram. and that thing is very unstable unless we put all the voltages up on every thing. the ram is at 1.95 and it runs now stable almost all night. but the weird thing is that it ram memtest for like 12 hours and did 4 passes and no errors. so we think it's the mobo.

Hmm, maybe my voltages aren't set right, then? What voltages are you using? Could you write them all down and let me know?

Currently my RAM's at 1.80v and Northbridge is 1.40v. Everything else is auto.

Update: I've just installed Call of Duty II to test the system. Unfortunately, it froze as soon as I entered the game.

However, after taking out 3 sticks of RAM, leaving one in, the game ran. I played it for about 30 minutes without any problems...

I'm wondering if its a RAM voltage problem...the RAM is fine as I've done various Memtests which came back with no errors...

RAM's currently set to 1.8v....worth cranking it up to 1.9v to see if it improves?

I'm not sure if it's usually better to lower the voltage but it's worth a shot .1 more v aint gonna do any harm.

I'm not sure if it's usually better to lower the voltage but it's worth a shot .1 more v aint gonna do any harm.

Well, I've just done a search on the net and it looks like the Striker II Ultra comes with a boat load of problems, Nick...including a very common freezing problem.

Anyway, I've fiddled with my voltages, increased Northbridge/Southbridge a little, and RAM...gonna try COD 2 again and see how it runs.

and...freeze!

This is really starting to pee me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom