Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dartos

Beta member
Hey guys,
I'm looking to build a computer and I was hoping for some feedback. I have included my thoughts on components which are partially based on the prices at my local stores (CentreCom Online - Notebooks & Computers and MSY Technology Pty. Ltd.-The Name you can trust-more than 10 years in computer industry) Currently I am looking at $1516 for the 'needed' bits.

- Budget: AUD$1500

- Usage: Games, HD movies, video editing

- Parts Needed:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz
Mobo: Asus P5E-D
RAM: Corsair 2x2GB DDR2 1066MHz
PSU: Thermaltake Tough Power 750W
GFX: ATI 4870 512M

- Not Needed: (Things I'm getting free or dirt cheap from mates)
HSF: Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme
Case: Thermaltake Xaser III
HDD: 2xWD SATA 300GB 7200rpm
DVD:LG SATA Blue-Ray Drive / HD DVD-Rom Drive

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome!

you could get a q6700 and OC it to well beyond what that CPU is capable of and save yourself some bucks..

i wouldn't recommend a Tt PSU... in my experience they've been a bit shotty... thats why id suggest either a Corsair or Enermax of equal rating

other than that it looks like a nice build... but if you wait a couple weeks the prices of Core 2 processors will fall dramatically (i7 comes out tomorrow!!)

the i7 comes out tomorrow? Wow, brilliant timing for me! I will certainly wait a bit for the prices to drop.

What problems have you had with Tt? I have read nothing but good things about them.

How does the q6600 measure up to the q6700? For some reason none of the stores I normally use stock it.

if you buy a q66-6700 you are buying 2 generations behind (as of nehalem's release). the 9550 will perform better than an older quad with or without overclocking. it will also run much cooler.

I would also get the 'G.Skill-PI 4GB Kit (2x2G) DDR2 1066' for $162 from MSY. ****, i payed almost $400 for mine 1 1/2 years ago (and that was 800mhz)...

Stick with that quad, and I would get Corsair tx750 from somewhere like mwave.com.au or umart.net.

umart.com.au ? ive never used .net. yeah i secon d the black PI, except i havent found anywhere in australia that sells em yet.

also ditch the x48, theres no point get a good p45 like the gigabyte ds3r or P5q which are easy to get in australia.

umart.com.au ? ive never used .net. yeah i secon d the black PI, except i havent found anywhere in australia that sells em yet.

also ditch the x48, theres no point get a good p45 like the gigabyte ds3r or P5q which are easy to get in australia.

I think its the Sydney version - although i just remembered they changed to IJK or something:

IJK Online Store IT / Computers - umart.net still works though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom