Network issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick

Everything to Nothing
my vaio laptop has suddenly stopped detecting networks and when you hover the cursor over the network icon it says:

The dependancy service failed to start or group failed to start

I havnt seen this type of error before and I am hoping for a quick solution...Things I have tried are:

1. Repairig the connection, this gives me a message saying restart the DHCP client service or start windows wireless service. I've tried both of these and had no luck.

2. Plugging in an ethnert cable connected to the router. Nothing happened to put it simpy.

I know this isn't an issue with the router as my rig works fine cabled and wirelessly and so does my parents pc. The specs of the laptop are:

CPU: intel core 2 duo U7700 1.33Ghz
RAM: 2GB
HD: 120GB
Chipset: Mobile intel 945GMS

Thanks

~Nick

The dependency service failed to start or group failed to start

This means that a service or services which networking is dependant on have failed to start.

Try the following steps:

1. Go to Start type Command Prompt (in the Start Search field), then right click on Command Prompt which appears in the program list, and click Run as administrator.
  2. Type sfc /scannow and hit enter.
Report back.

I've done as you said but I can't make sence of what it's displaying :eek:

Hello,

When you run sfc /scannow in command prompt it will check the integrity of the windows file system and replace any missing or damaged system files.

Once it has finished, try connecting to a network again. Report back about whether it fixed the problem or not.

Hello,

Alright. My next step would be to uninstall and re-install the latest drivers for all your network adapters, and see if it fixes the problem.

If re-installing the drivers fails to fix the problem, my next step would be to check that all the required services are running (since windows has reported that a dependency service, or services, failed to start).

Follow these steps:

1. Go to Start -> Type services.msc in the 'Start search' field and hit enter.
  2. Go to Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Service Configurations by Black Viper to view the 'Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Service Configurations' guide.
  3. Compare all the services in the services.msc program with the services listed in the service configuration guide. Make sure that each service is set to the state listed in the DEFAULT Business column of the services table in the service configuration guide. Correct any discrepancies.
Restart your computer and see if the problem is fixed. Report back.

I've tried 'starting' the WLan config but I get a message saying:

'Windows could noy start the WLAN AutoConfig service on Local Computer

Error 1747: The Authentication service is unknown.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom