Graphics problem, really at a loss here

Status
Not open for further replies.

eidni

Beta member
Sorry, if I have post this in the wrong place, but I am unsure if it is a harware problem or not.
Ok here's the deal I got a new processor, two new RAM sticks and a new graphics card, from a friend who has recently upgraded her computer, and all parts worked fine in her computer.
So, my other half put the new stuff in my computer, everything seemed ok, until I tried running a game (World of Warcraft in case you wanted to know) players and NPC's started disapearing and stricky lines appeared too. So then we did the obvious to try and see what was wrong, making sure everything was connected properly, made sure the drivers for the graphics card was up to date, even downgraded the drivers, as that had helped my other half play Mass effects.
Then we thought that maybe my computer doesnt like these new parts, so we put all the old stuff back in, and yet the problem persists. I have tried another game, that I know worked on my computer before but I am getting the same graphic problems on that game too.

So I was wondering if anyone could help me, I am at a loss after looking for hours for the solution somewhere.

Processor: AMD Duron(tm) Processor, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.0GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 6600 LE
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00F4&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A2
Display Memory: 256.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll

if you need anymore information please ask

What graphics were you running before?If the old drivers are still there it could be causing a conflict.

WOW will run on a 1.0GHz Duron? I had no idea that it would.

Does your motherboard actually support two gigs of RAM? Most old(er) motherboards only supported 512 or a gig. Two gig came along during the Athlon days.

I now have one gig of RAM in the computer, and the driver isnt clashing with an old one, Nvidia downloader overrights the older versions of the drivers.
Yer my procesor has been running WoW fine for over a year now, I used to have a geforce series 2 in the computer as well, capital city's were horrible.
I forgort to say the stuff I put in the computer that didnt work, was 2 gigs of RAM a 1.05ghz Processor (I was told it was 1.7) and a geforce 6600 (wats the point same series)

So... it worked before with the 6600LE and all, but not with the 6600? And now won't work with the 6600LE either? I'm trying to make sure I have the situation correct.

The 6600 will draw more power than the LE. The LE is a hybrid card, using its memory and some system memory. Personally, I hate them because they steal RAM, but they are cheap and lower powered. But even if your power supply couldn't handle the full 6600, it should still work with the LE unless it is crapping out on you.

Another possibility is that your PCI/AGP slot is dieing. If it is a PCI, try it in another slot. If it is AGP, try to card in another computer to verify that it works.

You could also try repairing Windows... just in case it is an OS problem and not a hardware one. Google for the steps to do this... my mind is tired and fuzzy tonight.

Well, like i said the old card used to work and the new card, worked in my mates coputer, so it could be the slot messing up.
Plus I dont have a windows disk to do a repair, I might be able to find one somewhere, I hope.

OMG it is fixed, and simple fix at that, A mate of mine said, instead of downloading from Nvidia site, go onto device manager and see if that does anything, So we go onto device manager and downgrade the drivers from there and wouldnt you know it, my graphics are working. I cant believe we didnt try that before.
I would like to thank you for your help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom