Upgrading my PC(Graphics Card and Hard Drive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tharar

Beta member
Hello, I want to add a new hard drive to my Acer Aspire, and a graphics card, and I have a few questions.
I am considering going with this hard drive, Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives, and I am wondering if when I attach it, will there be any necessary soldering to get it to be powered by the power supply. Keep in mind that I am not replacing my current drive but adding another one.

The second question I have is, what would be a better graphics card in general,
Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-N983-AR GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards or

Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards.

I want to know if the memory increase for 9800 GT is worth the loss in processor speed and stream processors from the 9800 GTX? Oh, and if you have any other suggestions for better video cards under $200, feel free to say them.

Thank You

Soldering!? My god no. We use plugs here in the 21st century, lol.

But seriously, welcome to the forums mate.

That hard drive will need a spare SATA port on your motherboard which looks like this: Image:SATA ports.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and to attach it to your PSU you need a spare 4 pin plug.

As for a graphics card, this will easily beat both of those cards you mentioned:

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

In case you want to know though, the GTX is the better of the two you mentioned.

and to attach it to your PSU you need a spare 4 pin plug.

Personally I have always used a sata plug from the psu which has 15 pins :) and is the accepted standard on all sata drives to my knowledge.
SATA_power_cable.jpg

Ps. You never have to physically change a component i.e. soldering, cutting and snapping the companies make everything plug and play

Personally I have always used a sata plug from the psu which has 15 pins :) and is the accepted standard on all sata drives to my knowledge.
SATA_power_cable.jpg

Ps. You never have to physically change a component i.e. soldering, cutting and snapping the companies make everything plug and play

Lol!! I'm tired today...and 5 years in the past apparently. Yes that is the new standard for HDDs, not the 4 pin anymore.

If you are planning on using SLI for graphics, you will definitely need the most powerful PSU you can find. PC Power and Cooling has, I have found< the most reliable power supplies, and you should be able to get a 600W or greater. Two graphics cards are really power hogs.

antec has nice reliable (and cheap) low end PSUs, but if you wanna do so sick CF in the future, i'd recommend a Corsair or Enermax PSU that'll do 650W+ and has at least 50A on the 12V rail

Thank you guys for your help, and not treating me like a complete retard.

Was that a serious comment? ;) With the graphics card what are you intending to do? They're both good up to date cards but I strongly suggest for either of them to buy a new PSU. Installing these items are dead easy, we all start out somewhere so don't worry :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom