Another build thread, surprise

Status
Not open for further replies.

stang2009

Baseband Member
I think you should get this CPU
and one of these power supplies. I got the S75QB, its rock solid and has good voltage regulators.
-P.
Um, yea, don't listen to that guy. Those parts will blow your budget.

Instead of the E8200 pick up one of these:
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

The E8400 is only $7 more than the E8200 and is worth it in my opinion.

That 750TX is overkill, this would save some money:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

With the money saved, you could then pick up a 4850, instead of that 9800gt:
Newegg.com - HIS Hightech H485F512P Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Um, yea, don't listen to that guy. Those parts will blow your budget.

Instead of the E8200 pick up one of these:
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

The E8400 is only $7 more than the E8200 and is worth it in my opinion.

That 750TX is overkill, this would save some money:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

With the money saved, you could then pick up a 4850, instead of that 9800gt:
Newegg.com - HIS Hightech H485F512P Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Umm...yeah the PSU's I suggested would actually be CHEAPER than the one he originally wanted to get and theyre way better. And the PSU you suggested would barely supply enough amperage to run his rig. Barely 31 amps. Where as the PSU Im suggesting offers close to 50. A difference of $10 between the PSU you suggested and the one I suggested, yet the one I suggested has 200 more watts and more amperage.
And the CPU is way better than the ones you guys are suggesting. Its literally double. So all in all my "blowing the budget" is a difference of about $150. And its definitely well worth it to have 2 extra cores and double the L2 cache (12mb).
-P.
SO yeah dont listen to gt7

Umm...yeah the PSU's I suggested would actually be CHEAPER than the one he originally wanted to get and theyre way better. And the PSU you suggested would barely supply enough amperage to run his rig. Barely 31 amps. Where as the PSU Im suggesting offers close to 50. A difference of $10 between the PSU you suggested and the one I suggested, yet the one I suggested has 200 more watts and more amperage.
And the CPU is way better than the ones you guys are suggesting. Its literally double. So all in all my "blowing the budget" is a difference of about $150. And its definitely well worth it to have 2 extra cores and double the L2 cache (12mb).
-P.
SO yeah dont listen to gt7

Yes, the psu you suggested is good and same with the Q9550. But the guy is on a budget and that stuff you suggested isn't necessary. Plus he never said that he wanted a quad core anyways. Also a E8400 would actually perform pretty much the same as a Q9550 in gaming. And trust me a 550VX is more than enough power for a E8400 and a 4850. Oh and the 550VX is $78 after MIR and the S75QB is $110 after MIR... So there is more than a $10 difference between them.

alright thanks for the suggestions, besides the video card, psu and cpu how is everything else. How is the memory I picked? I'll be using vista edit, wasn't sure about the case how do I tell if everything will fit, I don't care about the lights.

This one is cheaper, would it work?
Newegg.com - XION Onyx XON-301 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Stylish LED Power switch and unique 140mm Green LED Fan - Computer Cases

That ram is pretty good for the price, you could consider these as well, they all have better timings. It's your preference really:
Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

And that XION case will work, I think it's actually a little bigger than the Raidmax.

Alright thanks again for the help, what would better timings do for me if I'm not going to overclock? Lastly, are there any motherboards out there that will support newer technology that's not mainstream? Ex: DDR3 memory. Thanks for taking the time, sorry for the lame questions.

With lower ram timings, you'll have better performance out of your ram. So lower the timings = faster performance. With lower timings, that also leaves less room for overclocking. But that doesn't matter because you're not overclocking.

There are motherboards out that support DDR3, but stay away from DDR3 right now. It's really expensive and has hardly any performance gain over DDR2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom