1st Time Builder - Will these parts work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

demiZE

Baseband Member
Please tell me if these parts work and tell me if I can get something better at a cheaper price.

Grand Total - $1,305.88

Parts
Case - Newegg.com - Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

CPU - Newegg.com - AMD Phenom 9950 2.6GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor - Processors - Desktops

Motherboard - Newegg.com - ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Graphics Card
- Newegg.com - HIS Hightech H487F1GP Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Memory/Ram - Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum Edition 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Quad Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

PSU - Newegg.com - Rosewill RX850-D-B 850W ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91 SLI 8800GTX SLI CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Hard drive - Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Sound card - Newegg.com - Creative Sound Blaster SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Sound Cards

CPU Cooler - Newegg.com - Tuniq Tower 120 Universal CPU Cooler 120mm Cooling Fan and Fan Controller/Heatsink - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Thermal Compound
- Newegg.com - Arctic Silver Ceramique Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

Extra
RAM Cooler - Newegg.com - OCZ Gift - XTC Cooler - Gifts

Sleeving Kit - Newegg.com - Thermaltake A2379 Black Cable Sleeving Kit - PC Tools

Are you sure that the 2.4GHz intel is better than the AMD 2.6 GHz?

Also, I want my CPU cooler because I heard good reviews about it and it looks AWESOME.

I need the amd motherboard because I want to run crossfire later with the 4870.

Im guessing this build is for gaming, in which case you are probably better off going with something like an E8500 an overclocking it with that Core Contact Freezer. The Q6600s are getting a bit old now, and they dont overclock as well anymore (although they still get 3.2 on air). The E8500 can get up to 4ghz on air.

While the Phenom is a good chip, they do not overclock as well. Also, the Q6600 is not better than the 2.6 Phenom, in fact they are about comparable - the intel chips are just slightly more efficient.

I am not really familiar with overclocking. I do not know how to do it because my computer is 10 years old and it probably cannot be overclocked. I am using a computer that gets 20 fps in WoW. Please explain to me how dual cores are better than quad cores because I don't really know much about that. Thanks.

I am not really familiar with overclocking. I do not know how to do it because my computer is 10 years old and it probably cannot be overclocked. I am using a computer that gets 20 fps in WoW. Please explain to me how dual cores are better than quad cores because I don't really know much about that. Thanks.

Its not about something being better than the other. It depends on what you will use it for, and how you plan to use your computer. A quad core is better than a dual for mulitasking, graphics work, and high end gaming systems. A dual core will overclock more, and therefore 'can' be better in games as most do not utilize all the cores in a quad core. It really depends on your budget and what you plan to do with it.

If you dont plan to overclock then i would say either the E8500 or the Q6600, depending on what you want - the E8500 may be around 20% better in games thought because its clocked higher, and its a newer chip.

A few more questions

The 8500 can overclock to 4GHz. How much can the 9950 overclock to?

With dual core would you multiply the GHz by two and with quad do you multiply by four?

They are still making new dual cores?? I thought that since there is now quad, they would stop making new duals.

A few more questions

The 8500 can overclock to 4GHz. How much can the 9950 overclock to?

With dual core would you multiply the GHz by two and with quad do you multiply by four?

They are still making new dual cores?? I thought that since there is now quad, they would stop making new duals.

I cant remember what the 9950 can overclock too...

No you do not add the mhz from the cores together, they all run at the same speed.

Yes they are still making new dual cores. They do it so they have a large product range.

The thing you have to remember is its all about heat basically. Quads will put out alot more than duals, and therefore cant overclock as well (there are more issues but thats the general idea..) Games still preffer higher clock speeds over more cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom