Asus Maximus 2 + Asus ROG 9800GT SLI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chesirecat1701

Running on empty.
Yes, the 9800gt in SLI will be limited to x8 speed. And the X38/x48 chipsets support full x16 bandwith. I don't think it would be worth it to go to a x48 board, since you already have a beefy board like the Maximus Formula II.

Firstly that can't even run SLI... (CF only..)

If you want around 9800GT SLI performance, then you'd get two HD 4850's (which is better)

or two HD 4830's which is around the same as 9800GT

I do realize that the board doesn't support sli, but your telling me it's impossible for me to just buy an SLI bridge and connect the two?

And i realize that ATI makes better cards performance wise but I've been a Nvidia fan for a while. My main gripe with ATI is the merciless temps (70C+) that their cards are known to run with. My 9600 GT runs OC'd @ 777 Mhz GPU/ 2080Mhz mem and the highest it's been at full load after several hours of hard gaming on crysis is around 54C. On air cooling that's not at all. And I just feel uncomfortable with the idea of vid cards runnning at 70c and up and water cooling isn't somethin i intend on doing with this set up.

And although I already had a good idea that SLI these puppies would take more than an 8x interface. I just wanted some external input.

I'm asking because this rig is going to be a showcase of sorts and I want to use the asus R.o.G. as my main scheme.

thanks anyways. :cool:

It would work, but when it comes to in games, it wouldn't work... you cannot enable SLI.. you could still fold with them..

But whoever said that AMD has high temps are wrong... Yes at first they are like that, but that's because AMD sets a low fan speed on them (to keep it silent), but with the Fan Hack it goes up and its still quiet compared to the other stuff in your rig covering it up!

Crysis hates ATI. They would perform AMAZING in 99% of games though. At resolutions of 1600x1050 and below.

4850 crossfire and crysis.. what can i say... i was disappointed.... regular high is fine... modded very high.. or very high.. yikes... terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom