changing aperture size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gomer555

Baseband Member
ive recently installed a geforce fx 5500 card into my comp, replacing the radeon card that was in it. ive been experiencing alot of problems though when in video games(freezing, crashing) and on the windows desktop with mouse cursor lagging. i was reading my install guide for the card and it said that make sure the AGP aperture matches the amount of memory on the video card, which should be 256mb. when i run cpu-z and look under the AGP section of the mainboard tab, it says that the aperture is only 64 mb. could this be the reason why im experiencing these problems and does anyone know how i can change the aperture size? any help is appreciated.

This is quite the easy fix my friend. If you know how to get into the BIOS and you feel quite safe navigating it then you'll be fine.
All you need to do when you startup your computer is hit delete (delete is usually default for most, but check your manual) and when you get into the BIOS, look for anything AGP related. Check every category for an AGP sub-category perhaps. In there is an option that says AGP Aperture size....by default yours is set at 64 and yes this IS why you are getting lag. Set that bad boy up at 256 and you'll be smooth sailing =)

Hahahaha U-Toast! We fight again and I remain triumphant!!! Until our next duel!

So the aperature size should be the same as you gfx card ram or should be set as high as possible(256)?

Changing the AGP Aperture Size will NOT solve any of your problems. The only thing it does is dedicate system memory to the GPU - and will only be accessed once the VRAM is full. And it should not be the same amount as your VRAM. That is completely wrong. It should be just under 1/2 of your total system RAM.

Watch how you set it as increasing it too high will cause u to loose performance.

And Nubius, you are incorrect. That is not the reason for him experiencing lag.

And Nubius, you are incorrect. That is not the reason for him experiencing lag.

I've experienced the same thing myself so NO its not incorrect. Perhaps if he's got a 64mb card which he didn't even specify and regardless of that he has 512mb of ram.

http://www.ocfaq.com/article.php/overclocking/vidcard/43

thats a year old article but it still points out the same fact. If he's using a 256mb card he should be using 128-256 in the aperture size not 64 so YES it will smooth out the lag he's experiencing. 64 is definitely too low for an Fx5500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom