New motherboard and processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

start

Beta member
Hello,

I need to replace a motherboard and a processor for my desktop computer. The computer is mostly used for internet use and emails. Maybe some game play.

This is what I had before:

Processor ( [939-pin] AMD® Athlon-64 X2 4200+ CPU w/ Hyper Transport Technology )

Motherboard ( Gigabyte GA-K8NF9 nVidia nForce4 Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394 PCI-E Motherboard )

Let me know what you guys recommend for a good motherboard and processor. Thanks!

I'd recommend a Core 2 Duo e7200 and a TP45HP Biostar board (or a Biostar I45 + e8400 depending on your budget)

or if you are AMD Loyalist (Phenom x3 8750 + 790X board)

Keep in mind though, these will require DDR2 RAM [Socket 939 uses DDR]

If you want to still reuse your RAM, respond by saying so, and I'll recommend another Socket 939 Solution

I would like to keep my current memory.

Memory ( 1024 MB [512MB X2] DDR-400 PC3200 Memory Module Kingston Hyper-X w/ Heat Spreader )

That's what I'm using. I think the Core 2 Duo would be a better choice too.

hmm... then you are stuck with the 939..

But you should know you can get good DDR2 800 2gb Kit's for only $50

I'm a little confused, I would have to switch RAM to use the TP45HP Biostar or Biostar I45 motherboard? If so, what would you recommend for 2gb?

I don't have a huge budget. I just need to replace the motherboard and CPU to get this computer working again because apparently the problem is a harline fracture or motherboard failure from short. The PC store couldn't tell if it was the processor or motherboard that was bad.

Someone made a suggestion of just buying a new PC on another forum.

Your current ram is DDR and all of the current motherboards use DDR2. The kit of ram I posted would work.

What games do you play and what are your systems other components?

Yeh new standard is DDR2 ram, which is not compatible with DDR. But its soooo cheap these days just get the ram mentioned above - it will be much better anyway because its faster and its twice as much as you have now.

You do not need to buy a whole new computer, however, if you feel the need too, ask us first because we can get you the best for your money (Dell cant!! lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom