MSI ATI r4850- What is up with this LOW overclock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkim113

Baseband Member
i was overclocking my msi ati r4850 yesterday and i was very unimpressed by its performance.

core default: 625 Stable OC: 700

memory default 933 Stable OC: 995

is this normal on a msi ati r4850? i was under the impression that msi ati series came with a great fan stock that allowed some great OC (i know i shouldnt expect amazing results from OC but this is too little i think)

Also, can a psu have an impact on Overclocking a GPU? what would happen if the gpu was not getting the needed wattage needed after overclock? will the computer just shut down? or will the computer freeze?

PS: any programs out there that measures wattage being used by computer?

well your memory is a good overclock.......

and if your using stock cooler, your not going to get much higher than your already at without overheating the video card

you should push the core first , leave the ram stock, untill your finished

then the ram, and leave the core at stock

PSU can have an effect if its not pushing enough AMPS to to the 12v rail

if you have 18+a on the 12v rail, (at least 2 rails) your fine

or 36a on a single rail

if your not getting enough current, you'll just have random errors and things, it wont effect your overclocking potential (untill it draws to much power, and shuts down your system)

so thats probably not your issue
its probably heat

wattage is just the total combined power for the system, dnot need to worry about that

just worry about how much current (amperes) is coming from the 12v rail

1. if you have 2 rails running at 18a each, unless you have 100% efficiency it won't be 36a.

but yeah, it might require a voltage mod to get any higher out of it or you just happened to get a ****** board.. :/

well i mentioned it because alot of PSU manufacturers leave the 12v at 22a or less, because of some hazard or something

i got news for ya, if you die by screwing around with the power supply, your retarded

or extremely unlucky...

"hey! lets stick our tongue in this here thingy!"

great idea....=P
----

but peter is right,

if your going to volt mod it, (or since your overclocking anyway)
definitely need to check your temps,

(you can use rivatuner, atitool, and a few other programs for it)

anything above 95c is getting to hot for my taste for a video card

(some of the 8800s run at 110c max, so idk what your 4850 is rated at, but video cards take more punishment than cpus)

(my video card runs at 65c max, just fyi...)

well your memory is a good overclock.......

and if your using stock cooler, your not going to get much higher than your already at without overheating the video card

you should push the core first , leave the ram stock, untill your finished

then the ram, and leave the core at stock

PSU can have an effect if its not pushing enough AMPS to to the 12v rail

if you have 18+a on the 12v rail, (at least 2 rails) your fine

or 36a on a single rail

if your not getting enough current, you'll just have random errors and things, it wont effect your overclocking potential (untill it draws to much power, and shuts down your system)

so thats probably not your issue
its probably heat

wattage is just the total combined power for the system, dnot need to worry about that

just worry about how much current (amperes) is coming from the 12v rail

i have no idea what you just said, but how do i check if i have enough ampere coming through?

well but i think your hypothesis is right. Probably aint the energy.

Not many 4850s will do past 700-720 stable on stock voltage....the memory should do over 1000mhz though.

I would also say its smething to do with your PSU

did you BIOS mod the fan to keep it cool?? Did you up the core voltage?? What kinda temps does it do at load?

The core is probably close to as good as you'll get with a stock cooler... but the memory should do about 1050MHz with stock cooling... but i recommend getting an aftermarket cooler to keep it quiet as well as cold...

did you BIOS mod the fan to keep it cool?? Did you up the core voltage?? What kinda temps does it do at load?

The core is probably close to as good as you'll get with a stock cooler... but the memory should do about 1050MHz with stock cooling... but i recommend getting an aftermarket cooler to keep it quiet as well as cold...

yes i changed the fan speeds. The start up temps are about 35~40. I did not mess with the core voltage, how do i do that. i am just using tools like rivatuner, ati tools, ati tray etc that have simple sliders.

i dunno if you can play with the voltage in any softwares... i never really like them anyways... i just use RBE (RBE - Radeon BIOS editor) to mod the voltages and clocks in 3 different modes (set your 2D clocks real low and push a mad OC on the 3Ds) and then mod the fan to increase on a temperature curve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom