What's holding my system back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOGA

Daemon Poster
Hey everyone,
I've just got Far Cry 2 and I'm getting some low frame rates (29-37) on generally high settings. I've been out of the hardware loop for a while so I don't know what out lately.

I here's my current set up.

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0GHz
GPU - GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB
RAM - 4 gigs (windows only realizes 3.3)

What is bottle necking my performance or holding back or is it my system in general?

Thanks

Your fps is about where they should be for your system. There is nothing out of place there.

I would say if you want to improve performance, you may want to look into a new card. There is nothing wrong with an 8800GTX but there a much faster cards now.

I would look into an ATI Radeon 4870, or if you want to stay Nvidia then get a GTX260 core 216.

I'm usually a Nvidia guy but what ever gives me the best performance for my money is where I'll go. Does anyone have some comparative bench marks with my graphics card and some of the newer ones? I can't find any reliable ones because they never test different generation cards with the same hardware so I don't know if it will give me a performance boost with my system.

Is there a utility that can measure my systems performance during game play? Like whats being bottle necked or something?

Does my mother board affect my choice between Nvidia or ATI?

Motherboard - DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS

Kick *** link dude. So those bench marks say that the GeForce 280 is better but the Radeon HD 4870 is really close but much cheaper then right?

From that link I gather that 8800 gt's in sli scale incredibly well, almost 100%. Is this reliable?

Kick *** link dude. So those bench marks say that the GeForce 280 is better but the Radeon HD 4870 is really close but much cheaper then right?

Yea, the HD 4870 is good value for the price. Although the GTX 260 core 216 is slightly better than a 4870, but cost more also.

From that link I gather that 8800 gt's in sli scale incredibly well, almost 100%. Is this reliable?

Yes, that site is reliable, its Anandtech, similar to Toms Hardware.

At this point I would invest in a new card. SLI'ing two 8800gtxs together will work, but from there you have nowhere to go without buying new gear. Get a new card and leave the option open to add a second a few months from now.

any g92 in sli scales incredibaly, at resolutions lower then 1680x1050 sli 8800gts 512mb will out perform 8800gtx, and sometimes even ultra's. i have yet to see 2 8800 ultras in sli break 20k, but people do it all the time with 8800gts g92 and 9800gtx's if i where you id pick up a 4870, and enjoy, or if you wana stay nvidia for good warranty and customer supprot, as well as the ability to upgrade in 90/100 days pick up a core 216 by evga or bfg. aalso the gtx core 216 is slightly faster then the hd4870. but for a litle bit more of a premeum depending where you buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom