First Build: What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tink firstly u should go with intel processors, sumthing like the e8500 or q6600. Secondly as fer the gpu i recomend hd4850; it out performs 9800gt by some margin n cost abt the same.

Interesting choices just some quick Qs to cure my curiousity

Why have you gone AMD?
Why have you gone quad?
What is your total budget?

With the amount your spending an intel c2d setup would be faster. I think by your selections this will be a media centre with mid level gaming am I right? I would get a seperate harrdrive for your OS (320gb seagate 7200.11) and use the 1tb as storage. I would save some pennies on the ram and get the slightly slower PC2-6400 unless your obsessed with benchmarks or overclocking but judging by your lack of a cpu cooler your not.

Ive always liked AMD processors and heard they are good. Ive heard good things about the quad and it sounds pretty cool. My total budget is about 1000. with a few combo deals it comes out to just under. Im new to building computers so im very open to sugestions. Yes you are correct the computer will be used for gaming/media center.

You should go Intel. They perform much better and are a better value for the money.
Charts, benchmarks Desktop CPU Charts Q3/2008, 3DMark Vantage - CPU
As you can see, all the Intel quads beat the AMD quads.

Charts, benchmarks Desktop CPU Charts Q3/2008, 3DMark Vantage - GPU
And graphics wise, all the Intel quads and even some of the Core 2 Duos beat the Phenoms by a lot.

But if you're still set on getting a Phenom, I would recommend a different chipset such as the 790x or 790FX. But overall a Intel build would be better.

The quad won't really be utilised in a gaming/ media centre pc unless your planning on streaming lots of content whilst playing a game. Amd use to be better then intel in all regards around 3 years ago but with the release of multicore technology amd have fallen behind they are still good for low cost pcs though.

I would get an E8400 core2duo its dual core but I assume thats all you will need it will be better in the majority of games then a quad, as most games only use a single core and dual cores have higher clock potential on each core then a quad.

Again with the ram changes (g-skill 4gb pi blacks are good) and changing to 2 hdds over one for data redundancy. A P-45 motherboard would be good alot of people on here like the biostar offering. A 4870 or 4850 would serve you better what resolution screen are you going to use with this computer?

What Os will you use vista or xp?

That mobo looks fine especially if you have the possibility of crossfiring in the future. I just ran a quick google only complaint is with the ati3 series being a bit dodgy but thats quite common for DFI. Should be a good board given your limited space. I would go for the asus P5Q-em though if you don't want crossfire support and depending on the games you play the onboard may be ok for gaming? saving you some cash

the fact that you are spending as much as you are on a BR player/HD DVD burner tells me that this is probably going to be primarily a media machine which also lends itself better to the SFF you are after.
under these circumstances i would get a single, smaller HDD and make it as quiet as possible, you could also cut down on the RAM and either get a smaller graphics card or you could try to get away with integrated graphics.
you might also want to look into sound cards depending on what the integrated sound is like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom