overclock causing file corruption?

Status
Not open for further replies.
aw crap, i thought this 2.65ghz was stable, i restarted 3-4 times, (last time i got 2.7ghz it was completely 100% prime95 stable, for hours, but i restarted and windows was corrupted)

im worried now, because "windows search companion cannot find file yadda yadda yadad"

......now im scared to re-boot....

OMG. FFS...

GDI....

another corrupted windows installation!!!

forget it dude im at stock settings...

this chip either 1. has a horrible memory controller (or the asus board im using perhaps)

or 2. the hard drive is bad.

either way im so fking tired of repairing MBR and corrupted files

ok, i've got it working again.. and since 2.55ghz was the max i got that didnt corrupt files , this is what i'll leave it at..

but im stubborn, and of course im going to try again

i have 1 more extra windows xp install, so im going for broke here,

2.68ghz didnt work, 2.65 didnt work, 2.70 didnt work (although ALL of them passed hours and hours of prime95, go figure)

maybe the memory controller just doesnt like that frequency?

so im going to boot up with 2.8ghz as a last ditch effort to get a bit more out of this **** thing...

gonna boot into my SECOND xp installation, so i dont ruin this one again..

and (im pretty sure its gonna boot, and pass prime95, so after letting it run while i sleep, i'll know if it works when i restart).

i'm not sure if its like a intel chipset.. but is there an htt voltage.... if so maybe you needa up that (if possible.. but doesnt soundl ike it based on ur mobo)

also what is your ram frequency?? maybe that too may need a little bump in voltage

im keeping them low, HTT frequency never exceeds 1100 when im doing testing (even if i have to lower it to 800) and ram never exceeds 212.5mhz..
these are the settings i tested them at 100% stable, so the only other factor is core speed

and no, unfortunately this asus a8v-x motherboard doesnt have any voltage settings, it automatically bumps it up

As i suspected, the system is running fine at 2.8ghz.... so far...

prime95 has no issues, and im testing it all night ,

when i restart tomorrow i'll know if its gonna work

(and if i restart and it works, and the other install doesnt work, i'll know its that hard drive going bad)

so either way i'll get some definitive results this way..

im really hoping this chip just didnt like the 2.65-2.7ghz mark for some reason, and really hoping i can get it stable at 2.8ghz

(temp is 54c max so far, according to coretemp, after a few minutes, but it shouldnt get much higher even after hours of testing..)

so wish me luck nos!

goodluck!!!! hope all turns out well..

2.8 seemed to be the spot where most 939 cpu's would finish off at...

i know my 4200 and 3800x2 stopped there... my opteron 146 hit 3.0 at one point though.... but that was only a single core

2.8ghz is stable, working perfectly even after a few hours of testing, rebooting, testing some more, repeat

only works on my 320 gig western digital drive..

anything above 2.6ghz on my 80 gig seagate drive doesnt work, 2.65 corrupts windows after ~2-3 hrs, 2.68 freezes after 3 min, 2.70 corrupts windows. and 2.8 wont even boot, it gives me a "disk read error"

is this weird?? or what.... i didnt think this would have anything to do with the hard drive..........

whatever im happy.. 2.8ghz working fine on this 320 gig disk, i cant complain, (its probably going to max out at 2.9, maybe 3.0)
but im not going to even attempt it right now, im just gonna use 2.8 for a week and ride it out.

goodluck!!!! hope all turns out well..

2.8 seemed to be the spot where most 939 cpu's would finish off at...

i know my 4200 and 3800x2 stopped there... my opteron 146 hit 3.0 at one point though.... but that was only a single core

939 opty's could hit 2.9 on air and could break 3ghz with enough cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom