Vista X64 and GPU overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twalker323

Baseband Member
well.. this is very frustrating. i have windows vistas x64 and i am having very hard time overclocking my gpu because of it. Apparantly x64 has some kind of protocol or something that blocks gpu overclock usuage.

Anyone know a program that will work on x64, i have an ATI model by the way? any suggestions?

EDIT: o yea one more q. What do you guys think of using nTune (graphics control for nvidia) on an ATI card? i know it will work.. but any cons on using it on an ATI card?

atitool =P rivatuner=P

<3
i have no idea about vista, but i dont see why vista would look at the driver-level clock frequencies and stop a change.. doesnt make sense

atitool =P rivatuner=P

<3
i have no idea about vista, but i dont see why vista would look at the driver-level clock frequencies and stop a change.. doesnt make sense

ati tools and ati tray etc dont work properly with vista x64. Rivatuner kind of works but its unable to configure the graphics card completely

vista x64 i think stops it due to security measures

well i dont know then, i would use rivatuner (atitool newest version didnt work for my winxp either)

and rivatuner didnt work untill i fiddled around with it for a while

also, Ntune - i HATE THAT PROGRAM

its supposed to be 'safe auto-overclock'

thats ********, it automatically saves the settings to your drivers and you gotta remove them completely=/

pain in the *** to say the least

oh and by the way-

overclocking your GPU is fine if u want that max benchmark score or whatever,
but in real gaming its only going to make a 2-3% difference (at best) with a modest overclock

u REALLY gotta push them to get more power out of them, and you have to have excellent cooling

an example is my buddies 8800gts, he got a waterblock and everything just so he could get better framerates in crysis

on average it was a 3-8fps difference

.. not worth it IMHO, unless your card is the system bottleneck and u just want to squeeze those extra 3fps out for shts and giggles

well i dont know then, i would use rivatuner (atitool newest version didnt work for my winxp either)

and rivatuner didnt work untill i fiddled around with it for a while

also, Ntune - i HATE THAT PROGRAM

its supposed to be 'safe auto-overclock'

thats ********, it automatically saves the settings to your drivers and you gotta remove them completely=/

pain in the *** to say the least

oh and by the way-

overclocking your GPU is fine if u want that max benchmark score or whatever,
but in real gaming its only going to make a 2-3% difference (at best) with a modest overclock

u REALLY gotta push them to get more power out of them, and you have to have excellent cooling

an example is my buddies 8800gts, he got a waterblock and everything just so he could get better framerates in crysis

on average it was a 3-8fps difference

.. not worth it IMHO, unless your card is the system bottleneck and u just want to squeeze those extra 3fps out for shts and giggles

ive been hearing that too but i got to at least give it a try.

i am ****ed right now that i am not getting a consistent rate of frame rate in fallout 3 right now. with everything set up high, the game has occasional spikes which is really ****ing me off.

but i hear the MSI ATI 4850 series has a pretty good cooler so i am thinking maybe it will be a bit better then 3 fps? we will see

maybe, but you cant expect more than 10-15fps as an absolute maximum

and thats only IF the video card really is the system bottleneck..

you'll get more performance out of boosting the CPU most likely

but go ahead man push it to the limit=P i would

Some of the coolers that MSI has got on the 9800 GT's and 4850's are just plain sweet. GREAT heat sinks, considering they come with the card at no extra cost.

Rich is right though, without a decent cooler GPU's can be VERY difficult to over clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom