ide vs sata

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Pata drive has exactly the same performance specs then? Same memory/ Platter size/ age of drive / free drive space those are the factors that are probably hitting you performance wise

Sata drives are faster..period.

It can be a brand new pata vs an old sata...the sata is faster cause its a faster interface. Like agp vs pci-e.

As well as speed they are more practical, compare your 40/80 pin PATA cable to a SATA cable

PATA
ide-cable.png

SATA
Sata_Cable.jpg

yea, they might be faster for boot time and some load speeds, but I don't think it warrant me buying a new HD yet. unless it will drastically reduce load time. Although the cable difference would be good for airflow and temp regulation.

Sata drives are faster..period.

It can be a brand new pata vs an old sata...the sata is faster cause its a faster interface. Like agp vs pci-e.

I agree with you to a point however i don't believe pata harddrives have not advanced any further then sata drives were 3 years ago, when the bandwidth is not fully utilised. Agp is a limitation as its reached its peak bandwidth with the nvidia 7 series so pci-e had to be used to make faster cards. Thats a very old school pata cable the rounded ones are much better and old straight ones can be easily modded with a knife and some electricians tape to make them rounded.

yea, they might be faster for boot time and some load speeds, but I don't think it warrant me buying a new HD yet. unless it will drastically reduce load time. Although the cable difference would be good for airflow and temp regulation.

If you dont need the space then youre fine. But when you do need more space dont get another pata go ahead and move to sata...you will see the difference and wont want to go back.

Just keep the drive defragmented frequently for best performance.

I agree with you to a point however i don't believe pata harddrives have not advanced any further then sata drives were 3 years ago, when the bandwidth is not fully utilised. Agp is a limitation as its reached its peak bandwidth with the nvidia 7 series so pci-e had to be used to make faster cards. Thats a very old school pata cable the rounded ones are much better and old straight ones can be easily modded with a knife and some electricians tape to make them rounded.

I dont get what you are trying to debate.

pata is stuck at 133mb/s and has been for years...its old and being phased out. Most mobos only have a single ata channel and some have only sata.

sata comes in two speeds, sata 1.5gbit/s and sata 3.0gbit/s. The new specification will double it again to 6.0gbit/s.

Also, pata is limited to four devices. sata is not...most mobos have four, six, or even 8 connectors built in.

Yes hard drives are limited to a certain bandwidth...but in terms of actual performance in loading anything, moving files over, boot times and anything that makes the drive spin...you can ask anybody here and they will tell you that sata drives are just plain faster.

it's his choice but drives are dirt cheap now there's no reason why he shouldn't get the latest technology

pata is stuck at 133mb/s and has been for years...its old and being phased out. Most mobos only have a single ata channel and some have only sata.
Also, pata is limited to four devices. sata is not...most mobos have four, six, or even 8 connectors built in.
Yes hard drives are limited to a certain bandwidth...but in terms of actual performance in loading anything, moving files over, boot times and anything that makes the drive spin...you can ask anybody here and they will tell you that sata drives are just plain faster.

Precisely the bandwidth is 133mb/sec even a non-raid raptor only has max throughput of 90ish mb/sec and SSD's (the fastest one I have seen although haven't looked into it lately) run at 110mb/sec. The physical limits of the mechanisms means that mechanical harddrives will not be faster then PATA for the near future with SSD the limit is pretty much infinite. I realise SATA is the newer technological interface but PATA is not dead yet if building a brand new pc I would say SATA all the way but if you have the hardware laing around no point spending money for the sake of it. Pata is dying due to 5 volt signal voltages being required to run it which isn't feasible on next gen motherboards aswell as the inefficiency of the 26 pin interface. To use more then 4 pata devices you just have to flash some onboard controller chips which is quite easy as if you are trying to use more then 4 pata devices on a modern motherboard you would need an addon card which is probably designed for server usage so fairly standardised.

So to the original poster there is no point upgrading unless you need the extra space as imo it doesn't justify the expense and don't mean to make this environemtnally based but its just one more perfectly good piece of equiptment in a landfill.

Precisely the bandwidth is 133mb/sec even a non-raid raptor only has max throughput of 90ish mb/sec and SSD's (the fastest one I have seen although haven't looked into it lately) run at 110mb/sec. The physical limits of the mechanisms means that mechanical harddrives will not be faster then PATA for the near future with SSD the limit is pretty much infinite. I realise SATA is the newer technological interface but PATA is not dead yet if building a brand new pc I would say SATA all the way but if you have the hardware laing around no point spending money for the sake of it. Pata is dying due to 5 volt signal voltages being required to run it which isn't feasible on next gen motherboards aswell as the inefficiency of the 26 pin interface. To use more then 4 pata devices you just have to flash some onboard controller chips which is quite easy as if you are trying to use more then 4 pata devices on a modern motherboard you would need an addon card which is probably designed for server usage so fairly standardised.

So to the original poster there is no point upgrading unless you need the extra space as imo it doesn't justify the expense and don't mean to make this environemtnally based but its just one more perfectly good piece of equiptment in a landfill.
You should always recycle :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom