Buy MacBook now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's all apple marketing.

OSX can get viruses and at a security conference it was even hacked significantly faster than Vista. As far as crashing more than windows I have never had xp crash once in the two years I have had my laptop.

I have used osx before and it feels like an average linux distro. Ubuntu is a much better alternative to windows in my opinion since it is free and can run on any system. Plus with compiz ubuntu looks better than osx or Vista.

Have you ever owned an Apple laptop for an extended period of time?

Over the course of 3 years my iBook never once got a virus, never got infected with spyware, I didn't run any Anti-virus on it, and Spybot and Adaware were things I had never even heard of.

Nobody is saying it is impossible for this happen, but the people who write these malicious bits of software target the majority, not the minority and because of this nobody wastes there time on Viruses for OSX or Linux for that matter.

Also you really can't compare OSX to just another Linux distro, it is a much better supported, easier to use, and idiot friendly OS than any Linux distro will ever be.

Don't hate on something just because something exists that you think is "better", doesn't mean it's bad.

No I haven't owned one and probably never will because of their high prices and slow hardware.

Viruses for osx aren't as comon as they are for windows, but they do exist and since there are more mac's now they will most likely continue to become more common. Either way the user has as much of an effect on the security of a system than anything else.

OSX may be easier to use for people who don't know what they are doinng but I wouldn't say it is better supported. Ubuntu has worked fine on every system i have tried it on and it isn't tied to overpriced hardware like OSX.

Have you ever owned an Apple laptop for an extended period of time?

Over the course of 3 years my iBook never once got a virus, never got infected with spyware, I didn't run any Anti-virus on it, and Spybot and Adaware were things I had never even heard of.

Nobody is saying it is impossible for this happen, but the people who write these malicious bits of software target the majority, not the minority and because of this nobody wastes there time on Viruses for OSX or Linux for that matter.

Also you really can't compare OSX to just another Linux distro, it is a much better supported, easier to use, and idiot friendly OS than any Linux distro will ever be.

Don't hate on something just because something exists that you think is "better", doesn't mean it's bad.
How did you know you didn't have adware/spware/virus's if you never scanned for them?

No I haven't owned one and probably never will because of their high prices and slow hardware.

Viruses for osx aren't as common as they are for windows, but they do exist and since there are more mac's now they will most likely continue to become more common. Either way the user has as much of an effect on the security of a system than anything else.

OSX may be easier to use for people who don't know what they are doing but I wouldn't say it is better supported. Ubuntu has worked fine on every system i have tried it on and it isn't tied to overpriced hardware like OSX.

Take a look at a apple macbook for $1000. Now find another computer that offers the same specs for a similar price, once you do you'll note that they really aren't that expensive for what your getting.

Take for example your basic Dell Laptop. Configuring it the same way is usually more expensive. It's a small laptop and small laptops cost a premium, get used to it.

Again, OSX does not suffer from the plague of virus and spyware that affects PC's everywhere. Sure some might exist but in nowhere near the number for PC's.

How did you know you didn't have adware/spware/virus's if you never scanned for them?

Because all of the above have symptoms; computer slowdown, pop ups, unexpected crashes. If none of the symptoms exist it's pretty safe to say you aren't infected with anything.

It's the same way on you PC, all of a sudden it's slow you get tons of pop-ups, your background changes to some antivirus ad. Its pretty safe to say you got infected with something.

How can you make an argument against macs when you never used them? I for one hate them i just do. But i don't criticize them, because i haven't used them enough.

Take a look at a apple macbook for $1000. Now find another computer that offers the same specs for a similar price, once you do you'll note that they really aren't that expensive for what your getting.

Take for example your basic Dell Laptop. Configuring it the same way is usually more expensive. It's a small laptop and small laptops cost a premium, get used to it.

Again, OSX does not suffer from the plague of virus and spyware that affects PC's everywhere. Sure some might exist but in nowhere near the number for PC's.

Because all of the above have symptoms; computer slowdown, pop ups, unexpected crashes. If none of the symptoms exist it's pretty safe to say you aren't infected with anything.

It's the same way on you PC, all of a sudden it's slow you get tons of pop-ups, your background changes to some antivirus ad. Its pretty safe to say you got infected with something.
Point of spyware is to be undetectable, so just because your PC doesn't slow down doesn't mean you are virus/spyware free.

Back to the point though. I totally agree, Mac's break down less, have less OS failures, and are easier to learn from a new user standpoint. I haven't bashed Mac at all within this thread and won't. Apple creates a quality product for a niche market.

My only arguement for not purchasing a Mac was everything I did when programming in college was done in the Windows environment. Examples, teacher notes, book examples, homework assignments, etc were all examples in the windows environment. Yes there are ways around this but Apples to Apples (pun intended) I would suggest a Windows OS for this very reason. Especially since you probably aren't familiar with Apple OS so there would be a learning curve involved (in addition to the learning curve in college).

Point of spyware is to be undetectable, so just because your PC doesn't slow down doesn't mean you are virus/spyware free.

Back to the point though. I totally agree, Mac's break down less, have less OS failures, and are easier to learn from a new user standpoint. I haven't bashed Mac at all within this thread and won't. Apple creates a quality product for a niche market.

My only arguement for not purchasing a Mac was everything I did when programming in college was done in the Windows environment. Examples, teacher notes, book examples, homework assignments, etc were all examples in the windows environment. Yes there are ways around this but Apples to Apples (pun intended) I would suggest a Windows OS for this very reason. Especially since you probably aren't familiar with Apple OS so there would be a learning curve involved (in addition to the learning curve in college).

The thing is, there is nothing stopping the new macs form being used as Excellent windows machines.

Most colleges offer free Vista Business or XP Licenses to students in Computer related disciplines.

And seeing as all Linux distros that matter are free, you can triple boot it, and pwn at everything each OS does best.

The thing is, there is nothing stopping the new macs form being used as Excellent windows machines.

Most colleges offer free Vista Business or XP Licenses to students in Computer related disciplines.

And seeing as all Linux distros that matter are free, you can triple boot it, and pwn at everything each OS does best.
Colleges really give out free OS software? Seriously? We always go watered down versions of Java and VB.Net - that was it.

Colleges really give out free OS software? Seriously? We always go watered down versions of Java and VB.Net - that was it.

I go to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, and we can get a Site license copy disc of Vista Business or XP Pro to install on any computer we want and then return the disc back to the school.

They also give free licenses to OrCAD and other programs.

Ok I did. Here's a comparison of the cheapest macbook with a dell inspiron 13

Macbook

2.1ghz Core 2 Duo
OSX
13.3" 1280x800
Intel gma x3100
1gb DDR2
120gb Hard drive
$900

Inspiron 13

2.1ghz Core 2 Duo
Vista Home Premium
13.3" 1280x800
Intel gma x3100
2gb DDR2
160gb hard drive
$825

The Dell has a bigger hard drive and double the ram for $75 less than the mac, confirming my earlier statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom