USB Issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncan9562

In Runtime
I have had this problem for a while and have got round it a few times. But now its bugging me.

I have the following:-

Microsoft Webcam
Logitech G15 Keyboard
Microsoft Habu Mouse
Plantronics Headset

These all run of USB. Sometimes if i plug in a memory stick...one of these will go off and windows will display an error (low bandwidth or something).

Also i have an mp3 mixer with uses usb, which i don't leave plugged in all the time.

I was wandering if i got a PCI USB card for example this one
Belkin Hi-Speed USB2.0 5-Port PCI Card - Ebuyer
Would this help solve my problem??

Yes it will fix the issue - as those new USB ports will take power from the PCI bus.

What is weird though is 5 devices causing power issues. It obviously is a power consumption issue with the USB devices, i'm just suprised 5 devices caused a problem.

If the ports are on the Asus M2N32-SLI board. Install the USB bracket that came with the board into a spare PCI slot. That will give you a couple of extra ports on a different controller. You could also get a couple of USB to PS2 adapters and use the PS2 ports for the mouse and keyboard.

I had a issue like this once with the microsoft receiver for windows sucking the power. I had to get a usb hub that used external power to solve the issue. That card still uses the PC's power so I am not sure if that in fact will solve the issue or not.

That card still uses the PC's power so I am not sure if that in fact will solve the issue or not.

With a powered hub the hubs supply will supply 50% of the power while the PC will supply the other 50% since the 5v lines are tied together.

I'm confused, so this card he posted has its own power source?

If it works please let me know!

He's not having power problems. He's having bandwidth problems. Ideally the webcam and headset should be on their own controller sharing bandwidth nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom