ide vs sata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey

In Runtime
If my HD is still using an IDE cable and I switched to SATA would i be able to tell a difference? I am trying to decide if buying a new HD is worth it or not for better pc performance.

SATA improves boot time by a lot and also when using your hard drive, IDE is well out dated now despite both my opticals use it :p

yea, i am stuck in the IDE stage of life still.. my opticals use it and my HDD... soo.. I guess I will be looking for one of those on Black Friday and maybe an opti.

You probably won't see a notciable difference. But SATA transfers at 300 mb/s and PATA (IDE/ATA/etc) usually transfer between 100 and 133 mb/s. SATA uses less power, smaller cables, and is the future of computers.

hmm.. would you guys recommend an upgrade then?
I mean if I wont notice a difference then why upgrade now, when I could just upgrade in a year or two and the technology might be better and faster ?

hd's are very cheap...thats why.

A 500GB sataII hd is $70 now. I paid more for a 400gb a few months ago.

Technology prices are always falling hd's now out are only going to get cheaper as they get superceded. There is no point buying a new harddrive unless you need the space as the speed benfit won't really be noticeable.

Technology prices are always falling hd's now out are only going to get cheaper as they get superceded. There is no point buying a new harddrive unless you need the space as the speed benfit won't really be noticeable.

From pata to sata...yes it is.

Im running off a 40gb pata untill my sata comes back from rma and it is way slower moving files, booting, and loading games.

From pata to sata...yes it is.

Im running off a 40gb pata untill my sata comes back from rma and it is way slower moving files, booting, and loading games.

That Pata drive has exactly the same performance specs then? Same memory/ Platter size/ age of drive / free drive space those are the factors that are probably hitting you performance wise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom