Gpu - Quadro Fx5600 - Why Not Game - Technical

Status
Not open for further replies.
quadro and geforce hardware is the same...only diff is the bios.

I forget which...but its possible to turn a geforce card into one of those $1000 quadros by flashing the bios.

6800gto out of a Dell computer could be turned into quadro 3400 (very high success rate to). I was going to do it but the card I got didn't work. Would of been good to because at the time a 6800gto was about $100-$150 and the quadro was about $500-$600. Now a quadro 3400 is only worth about $100.

i think the reason that workstation graphics cards can deliver decent gaming performance is because a lot of the game developers who do CAD work also need to switch to a real-time game environment to see if what they've just implemented actually works

some may argue that the cards are identical and that it's really just driver level.. if that's the case then that's really a whole load of BS :p

Everyone here got close, but no cigar.

Quadros are OpenGL optimized while gaming cards are directx optimized. The hardware is nearly identical, but Quadros nowadays have locked bios'. The 6600GTs etc that were easy to flash to the quadro equivalent arent worth doing anymore.

The ATI 2600XTs and 2900XTs could circumvent this by using hacked drivers. The results were always somewhat disappointing though. Selection lag, anomalies etc made it not really worth doing either.

My quadro FX4400 scores about the same in directx benchmarks as my 7900GTO.

and the 6*** series were the last that could be flashed. 7 series up, impossible. UT, i was going to mention OpenGL in my first post, but didnt. good call.
meat helmet, thats exactly what i meant, workstation cards are immensely more useful with 3dsmax and maya.

Yeh, apparently you can flash 8800 GTS cards (all of them) to quadros, but they are only slightly better for CAD, and not even close to an actual quadro of that spec. Apparently its not just drivers and bios that are different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom