Help With Upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will your motherboard allow you to add to your Core Voltage? If you can up it to like 1.45~1.5V you should be able to hit 3.00ghz (which is the X2 6000+ at stock).

That is, if your mother board will allow you to.

i can get a quad core phenom 9600 and a gigabyte board for 130 online, and PCIX cards are alot cheaper than AGP.

You would need DDR2 clocked @ 1066mhz or higher ram in order to use Phenoms. But 130 for a 9600 and a Gigabyte board is like AMAZING!!
The 9600 probably won't hit 3.00ghz seeing how its B2 stepping and not B3. But it will handle PS2 Emulation much better since multiple cores seems to help with emulation.

So if you go with the Phenom, you'd need a new board, and new ram.

Edit: Crap I double Posted

yea i've got ddr2 800mhz Corsair XMS2 ram

2 gigs sitting in a box in my closet...

and yes my board automatically bumps the voltage up when i overclock, but i cant get it to run stable at anything higher than 2550

That sucks. Also you could look into Intel since they are outperforming AMD as of right now. Most of their Quads are pretty expensive and the Q6600 is outperformed by the Phenom 9950.

But their Dual Cores are really popular right now. Especially this little bad boy. Along with a decent mother board

Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - ASRock P45TS-R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

AMD is no longer king. Since the Phenoms are all 65nm and have like 95Watt TDP's or higher. Even the 9750 (2.4 ghz) has 125 TDP which is pretty high.

It will be up to Deneb to bring AMD back up on top. Since it will have a lower TDP and will be a 45nm Quad. Which means it will perform 5~10% faster clock for clock against the current Phenoms. While at the same time being AMD's first 3.0ghz+ Quad.

wow im retarded

i thought "im gonna try this overclock again, i must have screwed something up."

so i lowered the ram speed, and HT speed, and got it to 2700mhz...

thats another 150mhz over what i had before

core temp reports readings of 55c max right now (prime 95 hasnt reported any errors yet)

but i did get something really weird.... my asus probe 2 software (i assume it reads from a little circute located below the cpu socket or something, because its obviously off from every other temp monitor i've used)... just spiked for like 1 second...

i was going to tell u the temp it spiked to.. but when i looked back it was fine.....

oh well, prime 95 for another 20-30 min to be sure, and i'll bump it up to 2750 =P

I love those X2 3800+/4000+ chips. They are capable of 3.00ghz over clocks with decent coolers. They are able to handle over clocking much better then the more expensive 6000+/5000+ BE/5400+/6400+ chips. The X2 3800+ was originally supposed to have a 9.5 multiplier and clocked at 1.9ghz. So the fact you can get a 1.1ghz over clock on a lower end AMD chip would be amazing.

Try seeing if PS2 emulation is any better once you hit about 2.8ghz~

every 100~ mhz gives me 2 to 4fps (average)

so if i get it to 2800 (im running prime95 for another 20-30 min, i want to be double sure about this whole thing before i bump it up again). then i'll be getting almost 30fps more than i was at 2.0ghz (average, im sure it spikes at places with lag, but this is just with eye observation reading the FPS values sitting in 1 place for 5 minutes and writing down the averages, because the FPS jumps 2-6fps sitting still, for some reason)

so yeah, its already 50-60fps thru most of the game, and 30fps lag spikes during big spells

if i get it any higher its just icing on the cake, cause its already working fine for me

but i'll be able to play tiger woods 08 if i can get it up to 2800 or higher=)

=P not to mention im doing this on a 30 dollar air cooler with 57c max peak temp, which is more than acceptable

once i get around 64c i'll stop, but i know this chip runs 100% stable for at least 3 hours at 71c. (i stopped the test because i wanted to play CoD4)

but still.. my Asus Probe software is tweaking out....

i wonder if these overclocks are having an effect on the northbridge or southbridge...

NB is connected thru hyperthreading bus right?
i might bump that down again

........ ****

ok 2800 was UNSTABLE, i guess, unless something else happened? idk

but windows gave me a corrupt file error :eek:

and im glad i have a dual boot system or i wouldnt be typing this right now, i'd be reinstalling windows.......

2750 gave me the same error, so i bumped it to stock 2000mhz, Same corrupted error

perhaps the Asus probe 2 freaking out was a clue??

prime 95 had no errors.... i know my HT and ram speeds were fine....

idk what happened im clueless

oh- and im playing Final Fantasy X with those framerates...

i'll check this back in a bit, im gonna reboot and pray i dont see that error

just in case i do

do u have any idea how to use the crap windows is talking about,. "insert the windows xp disk and choose the repair option"

never could figure that out, i always just reinstalled it....

and i sure as **** dont feel like reinstalling untill i know what my max stable speed is.. and what caused the error....

You need to have the Windows XP disk you bought and just pop that in. Sweet FFX, yeah my other hard drive which I had SO MANY things on. Just did the same crap to me a while ago.

both installations were corrupted when running @ 2700mhz cpu, for some reason.

i can rule out ram and HT link speeds by previous tests i did at 2400mhz / 1200ht / 200ram

i still dont know what caused the issue, and im reluctant to go past 2550 (the last known good stable overclock)

when i was at 2700, prime95 didnt give me any errors after nearly 40 minutes, and the asus motherboard monitor gave me a few weird readings once or twice (like fan speed dropped to 100 for a split second, and then it corrected itself and erased the results)

then core temp popped up to 75c for a split second, and the results vanished after it corrected (according to core temp, it never exceeded 55c)

so i dont have a clue what caused it, i guess it just goes to show overclocking is sketchy at best once you reach your oc ceiling, and anything can happen=P

by the way the HDD is fine, no bad sectors or anything, i did a check,
and the windows/system folder was corrupted apparently, causing it to hang on boot up. and give me the error...

i'll leave it at 2550 for now, 1080~ ht link, and 212.5mhz ram..
its the best i've been able to push out of this system reliably

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom