Worth the Upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

insane84722

In Runtime
Hello. I currently have a q6600 at 3.6 on air and would like to know if I would notice any difference in performance by changing to a q9550. If so, how high would I be able to get the overclock on it on air? Thanks.

No noticeable difference the Q9550 is a better die so has slightly memory leading to a 5-15% increase in performance and cooler temps not worth the upgrade imo. The q6600 @ 3.6ghz is good what heatsink are you using?

Don't get a Q6600 now. The new batch of Q6600 have higher VID's and don't overclock past 3.2ghz on air. Which is why the Phenom 9950 outperforms the new batch of Q6600's.

Thanks for the info. As for other upgrades, I have a 4870 512mb. Would I notice a difference in getting another (512 or 1gb?, dont wont an x2) in crossfire? Also, 4 to 8gb ram? Finally, going from 2 to 3 drives in a raid0? (i know all about 1 failing blah blah, going for performance and speed)

What resolution are you playing at and what games do you like?
8 gb of ram will give you no noticeable performance boost unless your a CAD professional vista needs 4gb and xp needs 2gb to game at there optimum. If speed is the main concern then get WD velicoraptor drives and raid0 them (most people go for the two lowest sized drives and only keep there OS and favourite games on the Raid array, storage is handled by a seperate single drive). If you want to use 3 drives use raid5 it gives you some redundancy and the speed improvement of raid0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom