Advice for my new gaming build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikepsyche

In Runtime
I've been looking to buy a new gaming PC for Christmas, and have been researching the parts for the past few months. I will be gaming quite a bit on it, using it for college, etc. Will these parts be compatible? I figure this build should last me a while if so.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Motherboard: ASUS P5Q Deluxe
Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P45 Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W
Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified (Dual 8800 GTX and below) CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Video Card: Dual Radeon HD 4870s in Crossfire mode
Newegg.com - ASUS EAH4870/HTDI/512M/A Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Memory: OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB DDR2 1066
Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Hard Drive: Seagate 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache
Newegg.com - Seagate ST3640323AS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Case: Antec 1200
Newegg.com - Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Questions: I have a tentative plan to overclock my Q6600 to 3.0 GHz. As far as I know, the Q6600 is quite overclockable, and the P5Q Deluxe will be fit for the processor overclock as well. Is this correct?

The FSB for the P5Q Deluxe is 1600/1333MHz, while the FSB for the Q6600 is 1066 MHz. Does this matter? Will it simply take a minor adjustment, or should I look for another mobo with the same FSB as my processor?

Is a 750 watt PSU enough for my system? I read in a forum that 750 watts was more than enough for a build that was relatively similar to mine.

Are 2 HD4870s in Crossfire a bit overboard? If the monitor matters, I will probably be using a Samsung Syncmaster 152T, which I just measured with a ruler, and is only 12 inches across. I want to play at the highest resolutions possible though (Oblivion, F.E.A.R., Crysis, Half-Life 2, WoW); I'm pretty sure 2 HD4870s will be able to tackle it. I shouldn't go for one 1GB HD4870, GTX 280, or one of those GTX 260 core 216 cards should I?
-Sorry to throw this into the mix, but I'm considering a new monitor:
Newegg.com - Acer X203Wbd Black 20" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2500:1 ACM - LCD Monitors - Will 2 4870s still be able to play games at high settings with this 20 inch widescreen?

I think the Antec 1200 is my best candidate for an optimum cooling, fairly roomy case. 6 fans, plus two spaces more for optional fans (CPU and GPU I think) which I plan to fill with 2 Newegg.com - Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm Case Fan - Case Fans. Am I missing something, or would this be a good case (shouldn't reconsider for a NZXT Tempest or Zero)?

im new here, and kinda new to the recent components for high performance gaming...but from what i've read you are better off with the core 2 duo e8400 processor for gaming and overclocking. not exactly sure why it's better. maybe someone can help me out with that hehe, but that seems to be the general consensus here. you may also want to consider a heatsink if you are going to overclock. the Arctic cooling freezer 7 seems to be the favorite on this forum.

Q6600 will be fine if you plan on only overclocking to 3.0GHz. They have bad batches out with high voltages, and max you could overclock is some where around 3.4GHz. You could stick with a quad if you run a lot of applications and multi task. But if you don't then a E8400 or E8500 would be a good choice too. It's just personal preference.

That P5Q-Deluxe is a good motherboard and should go well with a Q6600. It can support up to 1600/1333 FSB, and yes it can support processors with 1066 as well. Although I would normally recommend the Biostar I45, as its cheaper and overclocks very well, but they are currently out of stock at newegg. Since you plan on overclocking, invest in a quality cpu cooler like this one:
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

There is no need to get two 4870's in crossfire for a 20inch LCD. One would be plenty. And that PSU is good, but a little overkill. This one would be cheaper and crossfire ready:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

im new here, and kinda new to the recent components for high performance gaming...but from what i've read you are better off with the core 2 duo e8400 processor for gaming and overclocking. not exactly sure why it's better. maybe someone can help me out with that hehe, but that seems to be the general consensus here. you may also want to consider a heatsink if you are going to overclock. the Arctic cooling freezer 7 seems to be the favorite on this forum.

Most games atm only use a single core so having a higher clocked dual core is better then a lower clocked quad is better for the current generation of games. The dual generally is a lower temperature due to the relatively less density electronics on the die compared with a quad which (very basically) has 2 dual cores strapped together so twice the potential thermal output (manufacturing processes and advanced electronics reduces this heat potential however this is just in basic terms).

To the Op:

If you multitask alot (two or three intensive programs not just itunes and firefox open whilst playing a game) then go Quad however Dual core will give you the greater performance atm as per above explanation ^. I wouldn't get a Q6600 a newer cpu would be better such as the Q9*** series if you want to go down the quad route. An E8400 is the best out of the dual range and can clock to 3.6ghz and higher

Crossfire would be excessive with that monitor unless you like bragging and burning money. I would go with your current selection pc power and cooling 750w they are arguably one of the best psu manufacturers even if that wattage is a little excessive.

Thanks for the quick response guys! Getting the E8400 sounds good, what with the 2 higher clocked cores that will be utilized more frequently (especially in games) than with the cumulatively faster, but individually slower and less frequently utilized 4 cores of the Q6600.

However, there's a chance I may be doing some movie editing on the computer, which might point to a quad-core processor as the better choice. Plus, if I get either, I'll probably overclock - Q6600 2.4-3.0, E8400 3.0-3.6. That's only a .6 GHz difference, except with the Q6600 I'd have 2 more cores.

I considered getting the faster Q9*** processors, but decided on the Q6600 because it seemed almost as good (especially if OC'd) aside from the slightly smaller cache and considerably cheaper.

I had a feeling two 4870s was a bit much. I think, at least, I'll downgrade to a dual HD 4850 Crossfire setup, which is the recommended GPU setup on Tom's Hardware (and has been for the past few months). This would shave about $160 off, while being the alleged sweet spot of performance/money.

I'll think about that 650 watt PSU - Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies. That would be another $40 off for a power supply that I think would still be adequate for the system.

Thanks a lot guys!

The Q9*** series runs cooler as it has better electonic architecture hence the extra cost. As a frquenter of toms hardware you must of read that the sweet spot for graphics performance is above 2.6ghz and crossfire would need slightly more umph so I would go with 3.2ghz cpu clock. The Q9 series is worth the extra cost in my mind but its upto you to balance it, the on die memory is meant to make 5-15% difference. If your overclocking you need an aftermarket cooler like the one mentioned above. Apart from those points you are good to go...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom