Case Mod Idea Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter.Cort

TF's First Dry Ice User!
Ok so I have a case hanging around that isn't going to be used so I'm gonna mod it in hopes that I can put all my drives (hdd's and optical) and extra stuff in that case and then run my main components (ram, mobo, cpu, gfx card) off a tech bench I'm gonna be getting in a bit. I'm installing cs2 as we speak so I'm gonna draw up some ideas and all that good stuff and post them here.

My first question is what needs to happen to run 2 psu's off of one mobo? I remember you need to like do some wiring rearrangement I just don't remember... case mod ideas will be up after dinner :)

You need to short circuit the mobo cable by connecting the green wire on the 20 or 24 ATX power connector to any one of the black wires on the same connector which will force the PSU on. A paperclip bent to fit usually works well for this.

As for modding idea how about a green "energy saving pc" hooked up to a wind turbine which is easy to build always wanted to try that. Also one that has a minature diesel engine in that runs off mineral oil (also submerge all components to make it a case coolant and fuel tank ;)). Then convert the kinetic energy of the diesel engine into electronic power and make the unit self contained. Could also place a touchscreen on the side panel to make the unit completely wireless :p just a single box which magically powers itself it would also be near silent providing the proper acoustic dampening rubber mounts were used. I think that would be a ground breaking mod.

the thing is that the case is only going to hold a psu, hdd's, optical drives and maybe a watercooling loop if i feel like it. so putting it into mineral oil or distilled water wouldn't really work cause there isn't anything worth cooling. the psu is going to be out of a shell and mounted in the case, hopefully on some sort of rails that would hold everything else and just run some really really long SATA cables out the back and into the mobo of the other setup.

The only reason why i wouldn't do anything super huge for the big components is because I'm gonna be running a 'tech-bench' cause i'm hoping that i'll be swaping out components quite a bit, I.E. Mobo/Cpu. So I think a good water cooling system would be really good for that, and i'll just cool the card and mobo and just have a couple blocks sitting on the side for different socket boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom