Laptop to PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarah ^-^

Solid State Member
Hi, I just got a laptop & want to copy a big chunk of photos from my sisters PC to my laptop.
Could someone tell me what kind of lead I would need to do this?

Thanks

-Sarah :embaressed:

If you have a USB drive (thumb drive/jump drive) just plug it in and copy the files to that drive. Then plug it into your other computer and pull the files off that.

If both your PC and laptop have an Ethernet port:

68571-ethernet-small.jpg

then you can get a crossover cable (they sell these at like Best Buy, RadioShack, etc) and plug one end into your laptop and the other end into your desktop. Then share the folder you want to share on your PC (right click on the folder, click Sharing, and check the Share this folder button). Then, on your laptop, go to My Network Places or Network (depending on if you have XP or Vista, it's called different things). Then you can drag files and they will be copied over the network.

Both are good ways. I assume you've already got a flash drive, though. Just copy and paste the My Pictures folder (or whatever folder the pics are stored in, this is just the default one) to the flash drive and bring it over to the other computer.

If both your PC and laptop have an Ethernet port:

68571-ethernet-small.jpg

then you can get a crossover cable (they sell these at like Best Buy, RadioShack, etc) and plug one end into your laptop and the other end into your desktop. Then share the folder you want to share on your PC (right click on the folder, click Sharing, and check the Share this folder button). Then, on your laptop, go to My Network Places or Network (depending on if you have XP or Vista, it's called different things). Then you can drag files and they will be copied over the network.

You can save the cost of the crossover cable by just going straight through the router and file sharing it will be a bit slower then a straight cable connection but won't cost anything more.

If you have a network (router, Ethernet cables, etc) then yes, obviously just use that. If you don't already have a router, a crossover cable is a cheaper way to go. If you have tons and tons of data that needs transferred, a flash drive isn't a good solution (for instance, moving a 10GB music collection, 5GB photo album, 20GB of videos, etc using a 2GB flash drive will take a LONG TIME and you'll have to sit there moving it back and forth). A network (crossover cable or router) is essential if you plan on moving a lot of data.

Wow thats really helpfull :)
I do have a flash drive but its only 2gig.
How do I go straight through the router and file share? Does the other PC show on my laptop under "My Computer"? :umm:

-Sarah

As long as both computers are hooked up to the same router, you can just go to start > run and type in \\computername\c$ and this will open up the c drive of the other computer. If it has a username/password it will pop up a box asking you to enter your info.

*enter the name of your computer not "computername" :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom