Diagnosing memory problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnF

Beta member
Hi, I am after a little advice on a memory problem. I am looking at a machine with 2 PC2-4200 DIMMs in it. It has intermittent problems such as lock-ups.
I am testing the memory with Memtest86 and getting these results.
1. Test module 1 in slot 1 - tests run fine for 3 passes.
2. Test module 2 in slot 1 - Memtest86 reports errors OR gets a General protection fault (test run several times)
So, module 2 is faulty - yes?
However, if I install both modules and run Memtest86 it runs through ok.

So, if Memtest gets a GPF is that an indication of bad memory or something else? Also, why do the tests run ok when both modules are installed? Should I run more extensive tests with both modules?

All advice gratefully received.

Thanks, John

Try running with just the one stick (the known good one) for a couple of days and see if the lock ups, blue screens, etc. go away or if they still persist. Likewse with the possibly bad stick. Try them in different memory slots as well to rule out the possibility of a bad ram slot.

You might also try running Memtest and try putting the two sticks in different ram slots if you haven't already.

I would still suspect that stick #2 is bad per Memtest results but you can try a few different things to isolate it.

Ok, thanks for that. I have tried various combinations, but not all so I can do some more. Funny thing is the 'bad' stick now seems to test ok. Also, I've had Memtest86+ running overnight now, with both sticks installed, and 13 cycles have gone through - all passed. Confusing.....

I might try running the Sandra tests now, just to get another 'opinion'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom