Computer without CPU fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazycat

Beta member
I recently opened my computer and noticed that my CPU fan is no longer working. I am not sure if it is the fan itself, or the power slot on the motherboard. I don't have any other problems with the motherboard, so its probably the former. Regardless, I have been running my computer with no CPU fan for somewhere between 1 day and around 6 months. It seems to run just fine, and when I first noticed the problem, it had been running for several hours, but the CPU was only at around 40 C, which is well short of the maximum temperature listed for my cpu here: The Heatsink Guide: Maximum CPU temperature

I have an Athlon X2, and a pure copper heatsink (the heatsink fan is what does not work, here is what I have: Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS7700-CU 120mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan - CPU Fans & Heatsinks), and 3 other working case fans for circulation. Anyway, the question is: what are the implications of continuing to run without a CPU fan? I have never heard of a desktop PC with no CPU fan, but then again I don't have that much experience with hardware. Also, since the case fans are still working, will the CPU fan plug fit on to case fan pins on the motherboard? Will the fan work (assuming the motherboard is the problem) if I do that, or will that cause problems? I would prefer to sacrifice one of the case fans if it means getting my CPU fan working. This feels like a really bad question, and the obvious answer is to just get a new motherboard or fan, but I think I will be buying a new computer within the next year, so I prefer not to buy anything I don't have to. Since the machine seems to work fine....

The CPU might not be hot now. But under load i can bet that temp rises. The ill effects could be that you kill the CPU long before you are ready to get a new PC. Running a CPU at temps that it can get to under load without a fan to take the heat off the heat sink will shorten the lifespan of the CPU.

The CPU Fan doesnt usually have the same connection. But if it does by all means try a different connection to get it working again.

Best bet would be to get a new CPU fan. They are not that expensive. At least this way you know that the PC will last till you are ready to get a new PC.

sometimes the motors go out in the fans, not unusual. mak213 is right, under normal windows the heat should stay lower, but under a heavy load (any 3d game) it will warm up.
the fan is dissipating the heat off the copper blades, if you take the fan off it and put another fan close to it, should be fine in the short term.

depending on your mobo, some have a safety feature when the cpu reaches a certain temp the system shuts down, to keep it from frying.

If I were you I'd just run down to the store and get another cooling system for 30-50 bucks. If you can get a replacement fan go for it. either way until its fixed don't play your unreal or crysis games :)

its an easy fix.

sometimes the motors go out in the fans, not unusual. mak213 is right, under normal windows the heat should stay lower, but under a heavy load (any 3d game) it will warm up.
the fan is dissipating the heat off the copper blades, if you take the fan off it and put another fan close to it, should be fine in the short term.

depending on your mobo, some have a safety feature when the cpu reaches a certain temp the system shuts down, to keep it from frying.

If I were you I'd just run down to the store and get another cooling system for 30-50 bucks. If you can get a replacement fan go for it. either way until its fixed don't play your unreal or crysis games :)

its an easy fix.

I do some 3d programming as a hobby, but I am not a big game player, so that shouldn't be a problem. I turned on the temperature shutdown trigger on my motherboard when I got it, so I know it hasn't exceeded that, since I have never gotten any (seemingly) random shutdowns. I think I will go get a new fan in the next day or so. It probably will help the re-sale value if I try to sell this machine anyway when I am done with it. Thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom