Any tips when switching out the mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad711

Daemon Poster
I know I'm basically building a new computer when switching out the mobo. I just wanted to ask is there anything I can do when switching out the mobo to make this process a little less painful? Any way to save time any where or do I need to reinstall every single item again?

Not looking forward to reinstalling all my apps and games on both OS (Vista and XP dual boot).

EDIT: Here is the mobo I am about to purchase. I have a quad core Q6600 2.4GHz and plan to oc it. I will be running vista and XP.

For this price range should I stick with this board or is there something else you recommend?

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TPower I45 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Yea that motherboard has the p45 chipset which means it can run crossfire. Just so you know the p45 will only run the second video card at x8 vs the usual x16. However, the loss of performance you see is just a few percent so don't worry about it.

I Not looking forward to reinstalling all my apps and games on both OS (Vista and XP dual boot).

XP you don't have to reformat...you can just perform a repair install on it via the OS disc and it'll work again. Vista on the other hand, you'll have to reformat.

Depending on what motherboard you are upgrading from, you might not have to do anything other than run the driver disk. Just swap everything over and if it blue screens when it tries to boot, run the repair from the disk. Be warned though, if you reinstall/repair, you will probably have to call the microsoft number to activate your windows installs if they are OEM copies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom