Mixing Brands of RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

csnudelman

Solid State Member
I currently have two sticks of OCZ Performance PC3200 (one each 256MB & 512MB, unbuffered) in my computer. The mother board is able to accept 3 strips of unbuffered RAM. I want to add another strip (probably 512MB, maybe 1GB). The mother board will handle up to 2GM RAM. Would it be best to install another strip of the same brand and series or could I use (with no difference) another brand? Also, would anyone care to speculate if adding a 512MB or 1GB will give me a noticeable performance increase? I just had a new mother board and CPU installed, I went from a AMD XP2200+ (266 FSB) to a XP3000+ (400 FSB) and really don't notice much if any difference in performance when processing with PhotoShop.

thanks, Craig

You can use another brand if you like, but since you're already using OCZ why not stick with it? You would have to use pc3200 though, unless you want to lower your performance.

Start savin up. I added a 512mb stick of kingston value ram to my 256mb of Samsung a-little-better-than-kingston ram and it worked out fine. THe samsung by itself was 2337 the kingston by itself is 3338 and when they are in the system together they rnu at 2.5-3-3-7. Keep in mind the kingston I got is PC3200 while the samsung is PC2700...yeah yeah I got it all weird and whatnot, but its temporary until I get a new processor here in a couple weeks

thanks for that, I ended up selling both sticks and buying two 512 sticks of 400mhz instead lol

ouch, I accidentally put this in the wrong topic, I was meant to put this in the topic I started with the same name lol

csnudelman said:
I currently have two sticks of OCZ Performance PC3200 (one each 256MB & 512MB, unbuffered) in my computer. The mother board is able to accept 3 strips of unbuffered RAM. I want to add another strip (probably 512MB, maybe 1GB). The mother board will handle up to 2GM RAM. Would it be best to install another strip of the same brand and series or could I use (with no difference) another brand? Also, would anyone care to speculate if adding a 512MB or 1GB will give me a noticeable performance increase? I just had a new mother board and CPU installed, I went from a AMD XP2200+ (266 FSB) to a XP3000+ (400 FSB) and really don't notice much if any difference in performance when processing with PhotoShop.

thanks, Craig

i recommend sticking with the same brand...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom