Is there any cons to getting 2 x 2GB memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad711

Daemon Poster
I went out to buy 2 more gb of RAM only to find that my mobo only has 2 slots for memory. So now I have to return that memory and sell the other two sticks I have in there and replace them with (2) 2GB sticks. Is there any cons to this?

My mobo supports up to 8 GB of RAM so why the **** would it only have two slots???? :confused:

G.Skill sells an 8Gb kit, but you will only be able to use more than about 3.5gb if you have a 64bit OS. and your motherboard must be able to support a 4gb module per slot. The only con, if it even is, is that they are only DDR2 800...

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

OCZ also has a 8gb kit.
Newegg.com - OCZ Vista Upgrade 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

well my board supports up to 8 gb and only has two spots so I would assume each slot should support up to 4 gb?

I am running vista 32 so to my understanding I should be able to support 4gb of ram. Correct?

im not an expert on choosing or recommending parts for gaming or parts in general. but it kinda looks like that board isn't very future proof IMO. You will not be able to run SLi due to there only being 1 slot, no dual channel support for memory?, there may be other "out dated" things on this board. i would consider an upgrade.

If you are gaming, I would definitely recommend an upgrade on that mobo. How much would you be willing to spend on a new one?

I just looked up my board. It only supports 4gb not 8gb.

I have a question, should I replace this mobo now? I did not build this computer someone else did and I kept him on a budget. I am wondering if I am going to be running into other issues down the road. I use this computer for gaming.

Here is the board

Newegg.com - Foxconn M7VMX-K LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 7050 / nForce 610i Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

If you're planning on overclocking or going the sli or crossfire route. Then yes I would replace that mobo. But it depends on what you want to get out of it, because with that mobo you could drop in a E8500 and a 4850 and have it ready to play Crysis. Although like Mahiv said it's not really future proof seeing as how your limited in what type of ram you can buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom