Is 43* hot for a slight OC'd Quad?? (kind of long)

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Hmm.. I'm still new to this OC thing, so I use the basic version of AMD Overdrive that came w/ my MoBo.. I can set up an OC Profile in my BIOS, but I really don't know what I'm doing with it, so I just use the software to learn me a little more about it.. I just don't want to eff anything up..

THis things seems REALLLLLLY stable so far.. It doesn't budge over 43*.. I think it held that even BEFORE I OC'd it..

Other than the very minuscule problems, this rig is 110% AWESOME for me!!! :D !!!! I LOVE IT!!!! It's EXACTLY what I was looking for!! :D :D

if its the Phenom 9950 BE you can get it up to 4.5GHz without too much of a problem on a modest air cooler... if not, with a decent air cooler, you should get the normal 9950 to about 3.5GHz (BIOS OCed)... but in short, 43C is an excellent temp for a Phenom at load... if you really want to lower the temp, lap your heatsink and the CPU itself and your temps should drop by around 4-8C

if you wanna setup CF with 4870s, liquid cooling would be a good idea... but because they've got dual slot coolers, if you mod the fan controller through either software (i believe Catalyst 8.9 has CCC fan control... maybe 8.10... read the release notes) or BIOS, you should be able to get a decent OC on them as they'll dump the heat out the back of the case (at 50% fan they're not too loud and the cards will idle at about 40-45, load at around 55-60C)... but, as always, liquid cooling, will allow you bigger OCs, and lower temps... but its really not necessary

^ I've got the BE 9950.. I should try to juice it to 3.2 once I get a little more familiar with this.. :D (maybe 4.5g was what I read earlier......)

What do you mean by 'lap the heat sink' ?? My exhaust is pointed straight up at the top 120mm (? size) exh fan on the case.. pretty close to it.. Antec cases =FTMFW!! :D

Cool! thanx for the info! :cool:

if you OC your processor in the BIOS, you can increase the multi with the BE to get some serious performance out of it... lapping refers to smoothing the heat conducting surfaces of PC components in an effort to reduce the temperature (ie sand your CPU and heatsink with really fine paper to get a mirror like finish)

if its the Phenom 9950 BE you can get it up to 4.5GHz without too much of a problem on a modest air cooler... if not, with a decent air cooler, you should get the normal 9950 to about 3.5GHz (BIOS OCed).

There is no way a 9950 will get to 4.5ghz on air. Everything I have seen says it takes ln2 or DICE to get one to 4ghz.

Don't even bother OC'ing your CPU with software. It's a bad idea, for a lot of reasons. If you don't know how to OC through the BIOS, then don't OC until you learn how. There are guides stickied at the top of the page, check them out.

if its the Phenom 9950 BE you can get it up to 4.5GHz without too much of a problem on a modest air cooler...
I hope you're either talking about Deneb (which apparently got 4.3GHZ on air), or that's a typo.

Anyway, I'm the owner of 2 x 4870's, and they're air cooled (Thermalright HR-03 GT's - they need fans when coupled with 4870's).
Also, AMD Overdrive, while good for testing the waters, isn't always stable for everybody.
the BIOS is best for overclocking Phenom's.

I've got a watercooled 9600 BE. Though I've discovered that some of them can be quite cold-bugged (especially B2 chips), so you may be better off with air cooling in some cases.

if its the Phenom 9950 BE you can get it up to 4.5GHz without too much of a problem on a modest air cooler.

Stop teasing me, I love AMD but Intel has the WolfDales!!

If you can hit 3.0ghz on a 9950 then just stick with that. I doubt you will notice much performance increase anything between that and the 3.3~3.5ghz over clock you can hit. Which would not be with air cooling.

I hope you're either talking about Deneb (which apparently got 4.3GHZ on air), or that's a typo.

sorry... yeah... more like 3.4-3.6GHz on air... you can probably hit around 3.8GHz with a good water cooler... although some do tend to run rather hot, with the 140W+ dissipation... and i must stress... you'll need the BE for big OCs... the highest a 9950 has ever got is 3.95GHz on LN2 (3.76GHz on Air)... but you should be able to get 3.5GHz on air with the Black Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom