So when should i expect to noticable lag in games?(discussing my specs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyboy

Daemon Poster
Sorry if this is the wrong section but it is about hardware..and games.:p

Anyway here's the main specs of my new computer(well a month old now):

Q6600, on stock atm but I think I will read up on how to OC, I have an OCZ vendetta 2 cooler on it

HD4870 512mb GPU

2x2gb Corsair PC2-6400 XMS2

I guess there the only things that effect game speeds, also the mobo is an Asus P45 Pro and the HDD is a seagate 500gb SATA2 32mb cache 7200RPM.

Basically what I am asking is, and I know it's a hard question as you can't tell so easily when games will suddenly be more demanding, how long do you think this computer will be able to handle the latest RTS games for without noticeable lag. Right now I am playing Dawn of War:soul storm, SUPCOM and soon to be Red alert 3. Supcom never goes below like 50fps so it's way smooth, dawn of war only lags if I mod the game to make it so you can have literally hundreds of soldiers fighting each other in melee and shooting and all that, even then it isn't very much.

When the time does come I need an upgrade would it be the GPU first most likely or more ram, seems like the XMS2 isn't blocking the ram slots next to it at all so 8GB in the future is a possibility.

Also is having my Q6600 at stock settings going to effect The performance of RTS games I have or will be released in the nearish future or are they more ram dependent(lots of units=ram usage?,lol correct me if I'm wrong)

Thanks for any comments guys, really appreciate the help I get on this forum.:happy:

I was thinking that but they seem to differ quite a bit, the Dawn of War series seems more demanding then the C&C series and Supreme Commander in some ways, it's weird Supcom lagged more on my crappy old PC but now SupCom never ever lags were as like I said Dawn of War will if if I mod it like crazy, maybe it was a ram issue and so SupCom is more ram less GPU, I think that's true since graphically Dawn of War is a bit more detailed then SupCom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom