Can anyone help ?

I have just built a machine :

Gigabyte GA-7VT600 mobo,
AMD 2800
Radeon 9200 128Mb
1gb RAM
120GB SATA drive
WinXP

After a few days of playing with the SATA drive fiasco I have managed to get that going, but there is a more annoying problem.

When I start the computer from scratch there is no problems the mobo beeps once to confirm a successfull POST and it boots to XP in less than 10 seconds, however when I attempt a restart the computer shuts down then doesn't seem to start up again, the DVD does its checks etc, but the monitor goes to sleep and everything just sits there. If I turn it off, then restart it it works fine. It isn't a windows thing as making a change in the BIOS settings also causes a restart with the same problem. Each time I have to turn off the machine and restart.

Hmmm.... It could have something to do with the wiring. Check that first. Thats the only thing I can think of.

I had a few hiccups with this machine (mainly SATA related) and as a result my geeky mate and I have checked and rechecked seated and reseated everything. As the monitor doesn't start would I be right in assuming that it could be something to do with the Radeon / Gigabyte AGP 2/4/8X type thingy ? Anyone aware of any conflicts ?

uhm.. have you tried updating the bios on that board?.. Sometimes bios version can get corrupt very easily, as I learned with my asus board a year ago.. Check and see if you can update it, if you can go for it.. good luck =)

I'll give it a go, although this motherboard comes with 2 BIOS' so if there is a corruption the other should kick in automatically.....without anyone knowing....aparently, as smooth as plug and play. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll let you know what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom