odd problems with a new build

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdkon

Beta member
After years of rockin a 3.0 p4 I was finally able to upgrade to an e8500. This of course meant I had to get a new mobo and it has left me with a few problems that are odd at least in my eyes. First off I get 12 beeps before every restart, but after that it restarts fine and goes into XP like normal. I cant find any reason it would do that but obviously something is up. The other thing that is bugging me is that the e8500 is getting capped at 266x9.5 (2.5 ghz) which would normally mean the ram is too slow but its registered as 667 and to my knowledge that should be fine for a 1:1 bus ratio at 333. I've disabled CIE and checked all the ram and cpu options in the bios and i don't see anything that would be stopping the cpu from running at its default 333x9.5. So if anyone could provide some insight to this I would really appreciate it.

Try upgrading the bios. I once had an issue where the board I had bought recognized the e8400 no problem, but automatically clocked down the 8500. Upgrading the bios to the latest release fixed the problem.

you've gotten halfway to fixing it... im guessing you're using a P45 based board, so there should be something to the effect of "CPU EIST Function" (its called different things depending on the brand, but it should be similar)... disble this and your CPU should run at its BIOS speed the entire time.

there may also be settings similar to the following in your BIOS... make sure they're disabled

C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]

i hope that fixes your problems

EDIT: oh yeah... if its the new E0 stepping version, you're definitely gonna need to update the BIOS, probably to the newest revision

Thanks for the replies! Updated the bios and thoroughly checked everything in the bios for the options listed. The only thing i see that would limit cpu speed was C1E and that was just dropping the multiplier to 6.5 on idle, which in my case was slowing the cpu from 2.5 to 1.6 instead of 3.1 to 2.1. I really don't know where to go from here, i was sure that bios update would fix it since in the description it said "To support FSB 1333 CPU". At this point iam almost convinced there is some minor defect in the board. The 12 beeps before every restart (and only before restarts not before a fresh power up after its been off for a minute) is only reassuring that assumption. That being said iam still open to any suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom