Power On Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hessinger

Beta member
So I recently built a new machine for my brother. He's been using it for about a month now and had no problems up until now. Now it's not powering up. So, I reseated everything with the exception of the processor and cpu fan. The Power LED light on the motherboard is coming on. I asked him what he did last time he had it on hardware wise and the only thing he mentioned was disconnecting a USB Headset on the front panel where the power switch is. So I thought maybe it could have been a bad power switch so I took a screw driver and tried to manually jump start the motherboard without any luck. I'm now completely out of ideas on what else to look for.. any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

Specs: 9800 GeForce GXT, Intel DP35DPM Socket 775 Motherboard, OCZ 600W Stealth Xtreme Power Supply, 2x 2048 MB PC6400 DD2 800 MHZ RAM, NZXT Apollo Blk ATX Mid-Tower Case w/Clear Side

Hello,

Have you tried resetting the BIOS?

Also, try disconnecting all unnecessary hardware from the motherboard (such as the hard drive, CD-ROM drive, mouse, keyboard, additional RAM modules and motherboard header attachments such as a USB or audio header) and try powering to see if it will POST. If you've got onboard graphics, you could also remove the dedicated graphics card, plug the monitor up to onboard graphics and see if it will POST (reset the BIOS after removing the dedicated graphics card).

Hello,

Have you tried resetting the BIOS?

Also, try disconnecting all unnecessary hardware from the motherboard (such as the hard drive, CD-ROM drive, mouse, keyboard, additional RAM modules and motherboard header attachments such as a USB or audio header) and try powering to see if it will POST. If you've got onboard graphics, you could also remove the dedicated graphics card, plug the monitor up to onboard graphics and see if it will POST (reset the BIOS after removing the dedicated graphics card).

Thanks for the suggestion. However it did not help. I've now extensively tested the power supply as well and it works perfectly fine. When I turn the power supply on, the power LEDs across the motherboard do come on. However, the power button does not do anything, nor do the fans come on. I also tried removing all unnecessary components from the machine including all the USB and Audio Headers. I still have a feeling that its the power button switch. Let me explain what I have tried to do to rule this out and see if this idea even makes sense. From the little understanding I have of hardware, I believe the power button is nothing more then a momentary contact switch. So I took a Flathead and just put them over the 2 Power Pins, but nothing happens. Someone let me know if my logic is flawed on that. Also any other suggestions would still be helpful.

Thanks for the suggestion. However it did not help. I've now extensively tested the power supply as well and it works perfectly fine. When I turn the power supply on, the power LEDs across the motherboard do come on. However, the power button does not do anything, nor do the fans come on. I also tried removing all unnecessary components from the machine including all the USB and Audio Headers. I still have a feeling that its the power button switch. Let me explain what I have tried to do to rule this out and see if this idea even makes sense. From the little understanding I have of hardware, I believe the power button is nothing more then a momentary contact switch. So I took a Flathead and just put them over the 2 Power Pins, but nothing happens. Someone let me know if my logic is flawed on that. Also any other suggestions would still be helpful.

Hello,

No your logic is correct. As long as you're shorting the correct pins, it should turn on:

pwrru3.jpg

If you haven't tried removing and re-installing the processor, it's worth a try. Remember that each time the heatsink is removed from the CPU, the thermal interface material should be cleaned off from both surfaces and a fresh layer applied before re-installing.

However, before you remove the CPU and heatsink, try removing everything from inside the PC case (including the motherboard), re-connect everything outside the case, and see if the system will power on. The reason for this is because the motherboard may be grounded to metal inside the chassis causing it to not turn on.

An example of testing a system outside of the chasis:
gigabyte_system.jpg

I was def. shorting the correct pins. Ill try the outside system test in the morning. Thanks again! I will update here with some confirmation later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom