Windows XP Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalcProgrammer1

Fully Optimized
Ok, well, I had XP on an 80GB drive in my AthlonXP desktop. I decided that I'd rather use my Sempron so I could run Vista 64 (which I'm using now). However, having registered some software to my XP installation, I didn't want to reformat and have to re-register software, so I copied the XP partition from my 80GB drive (that I moved to the Sempron) to my 60GB drive (the one that will be in the AthlonXP). The copy went fine, but now it won't boot. The WinXP partition fills the whole 60GB drive but starting the computer simply reads "DISK BOOT FAILURE. INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.". I tried writing an MBR to it using an Ubuntu CD and ms-sys (I don't have a Windows XP CD with me, I left them all at my dorm room, and I won't be taking the AthlonXP back with me). What can I do to fix the XP partition so it will boot (I have: Ubuntu 7.10 CD, Vista Recovery CD/Install DVD (both 64 bit so probably useless), Hiren's Boot CD). If there's an XP Recovery CD, I'd like to know where to get it!

Ok, so did you just copy and past the files, or did you use something like Ghost to do a disk-to-disk clone?

Never mind, got it working. Hiren's Boot CD has a bunch of tools for fixing MBR, which apparently was the problem.

What I did was copy a partition (using Acronis or Paragon or something like that, was on Hiren's Boot CD) from my 80GB drive to my 60GB drive and then swap the drives. The PC has a different hard drive, but, since I copied the partition, the same installation of Windows. However, copying the partition didn't make it bootable, so that was my problem.

The 80GB now has Vista 64 on it in my other computer.

Yeah, I have v9.4 I think...I'm sure its up to a newer version by now though. It's a very handy disc to keep on hand, especially when fixing computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom