htpc build:mobo question

Status
Not open for further replies.

GENX34

Solid State Member
hey guys
im building a htpc for me and im trying to decide which motherboard from newegg.com to buy?
Either a PNY MBM630I7150 or a ASUS P5N-EM or even a intel mobo.
they both have hdmi output for the 32 inch lcd im going to use.
the cpu is a intel ES5200 2.5ghz and im giong to put in about 2gb or 3gb of ram and
wifi adpater and also lg blu-ray player and 500gb HDD.
im going to be using XP pro with a io gear phaser 3 in one air mouse and wireless
keyboard

which one would be the better choice?

thanks
GENX34

Well just by looking at the specs...I would think that the PNY MBM630I7150 would be the better board of the two...It has the NVIDIA Geforce 7150 as opposed to the Geforce 7100 on the other board...other than that I don't really see any major difference between the two... are you dead set on using Intel? just curious cause I just had alot of success with my HTPC setup and I used a AMD 780g chipset MOBO, at it does 1080p play back exceptionally well....ohh and just a suggestion...you might as well think of going for a 1TB hard drive

this 1TB drive is only 119 with free shipping...trust me 500gb gets filled fast
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

hey skyline
i dont know much about amd
if you have any suggestions on a mobo and cpu that will better than the intel E5200 for the same amount or a little more, it would help. ASUS and intel is the brand mobo i like. some the other are just about the same.
will be using this htpc for my 32" samsung lcd with a input of 720p/1080i
i was thinking on getting a 1TB HDD from tigerdirect.com at $99.
of coarse, they have it on special.

Any suggestions will help alot!

thanks
genx34

hey skyline
i dont know much about amd
if you have any suggestions on a mobo and cpu that will better than the intel E5200 for the same amount or a little more, it would help. ASUS and intel is the brand mobo i like. some the other are just about the same.
will be using this htpc for my 32" samsung lcd with a input of 720p/1080i
i was thinking on getting a 1TB HDD from tigerdirect.com at $99.
of coarse, they have it on special.

Any suggestions will help alot!

thanks
genx34

Well I saw you were looking at a 2.5ghz Intel cpu...I found one here that looks good

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Brisbane 2.7GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

it is a 2.7ghz...for 66 bucks with free shipping and it is retail so it comes with the heatsink fan...

Here is the mobo I used

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

it has a great integrated graphics chipset, and it has an HDMI out which will make it easier to output to your tv since you wont need a DVI to HDMI adapter....Also it has alot of great inputs on the back that will come in handy...ex: eSata port, firewire...

this is just my thoughts...some food for thought...

Well I saw you were looking at a 2.5ghz Intel cpu...I found one here that looks good

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Brisbane 2.7GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

it is a 2.7ghz...for 66 bucks with free shipping and it is retail so it comes with the heatsink fan...

Here is the mobo I used

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

it has a great integrated graphics chipset, and it has an HDMI out which will make it easier to output to your tv since you wont need a DVI to HDMI adapter....Also it has alot of great inputs on the back that will come in handy...ex: eSata port, firewire...

this is just my thoughts...some food for thought...

That's the same mobo I used in my HTPC, no complaints so far other than the original board being DOA.

hey guys
is gigabyte the choice of mobos dealing with blue-ray/dvd playback and very light gaming?
what do you think of some of the other mobo makers like intel, asus and msi?

this was the case i was going to buy at newegg.com since now i have alot of room now for a mid tower now.
COOLER MASTER Centurion 532 RC-532-SKN1
would 550w psu be enough power the whole system?

thanks
genx34

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom