pcZen

Solid State Member
Ok, so I built a PC back in January:

AMD X2 4800+
MSI Mobo
2GB(2x1GB) G.Skill
500GB HDD WD
EVGA 8800GTS 320MB PCI-e

Recently I started getting a problem with Freezing in a few of games (Warhammer Online and WoW). The games will play fine for about 5-10 seconds then freeze for about 1-5 seconds. It will do this constantly.

I formatted and installed Vista Ultimate 32bit and this is where I noticed it.
I upgraded the sound card, it didn't fix it.
I went back to XP, and it was still happening.
I removed the video card and used onboard...still happens
I am in the process of running MemTest but after 10 hours, still no errors
I have updated all drivers for CPU, Mobo, video, sound, even Beta Drivers, still a problem
WoW seemed to work better with OpenGL, but I cancelled my account and deleted wow, so I can't test it any more.
I have tweaked the nvidia settings every which way without success, but the fact it happens on my X1250 onboard and my EVGA 8800GTS makes me think its not the video card.

The only other cheap test is to toss my 160GB drive in the machine and try it out, but if I have to replace the CPU or Mobo, I plan on moving to intel, but this is my last resort.

Otherwise the PC runs beautifully, plays 720p files flawlessly, I guess I could test Counter-strike to see if I get the same issue.

Any Ideas on other tests to throw at it? Should I format, install XP up to SP2 and test the game to see if its a recent patch thats causing issues?

Thanks!

jon

I meant to put this in the troubleshooting forum, can a moderator please move this thread for me? Sorry!

All my temps seem fine, the games don't even push the hardware that hard, and temps stay well within the appropriate ranges.

I can write down the specifics tonight, but nothing jumps out at me as far as temps go.

Replace your Hard drive with your 160 one as you stated. Recently I had issues with my computer crashing. It turned out to be my hard drive.

Ok, installed the 160GB HDD installed XP up to SP2, still get the same problem. Warhammer was the first software I installed before anything else, besides drivers. No AntiVirus, nothing else but Warhammer. It can't be the HDD or an XP patch.

I have swapped the HDD & Power Supply without success. The only component left untested is the CPU or Mobo, (I only ran Memtest to Test #7).

Any suggestions on what else I can do?

I wish I had a spare CPU to swap out, but I don't. Nothing is overclocked.

I am tempted to buy another CPU, but I would rather get AMD to replace it, which is probably a pipe dream.

If I am going to drop some money on a CPU, I might as well just replace CPU,Mobo,RAM and build a new gaming rig, and turn this one into an extra machine.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom