$1100 gaming build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ack - guys, can you please help me? I went with the suggestions of this thread (thanks again for the help guys!!) on hardware, but apparently I don't have the magic touch for assembling this thing. As far as I know, everything is together. When I hit the power button, lights turn on all over the motherboard and graphics card, everything seems to be in order - except that little display that is suppose to post status messages? Nothing there at all, totally dark. Needless to say, there is no output to the monitor (which I"m currently using on another computer).

I don't even know where to begin trouble shooting? Can someone here give some direction? How can I figure out where the problem is?

Thanks,

Alaric

ok, I reset the bios. Then I removed everything from the case to make sure it was not a mounting problem. Right now I have the mobo sitting on a piece of cardboard with the video card, one stick of ram, and the cpu attached. Still nothing - where do I go from here?

the card might be bad. is the fan spinning up. do you have another card you can try in it. have you tried alternating the sticks of ram

I tried alternating the ram - the card is spinning up fine - shouldn't the post display on the mobo be outputting even without the graphics card working?

meaning there's nothing on the little led display for post trouble shooting? hmm thats odd. is everything is plugged in to the mobo correctly as well as video card

Does your motherboard have error debug lights? Mine does, if both lights don't turn on I know something is wrong. Try using only one stick of ram, or using a set that you know to be good. Also make sure that all power connectors are plugged in. There should be a 24pin, a 4pin and maybe a molex connector on your motherboard. Get them all.

mobo: Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TPower I45 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

cpu: Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops or
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

gpu: Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100257L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards or
if u have a monitor smaller then 24" get: Newegg.com - HIS Hightech H485QT512P Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported IceQ4 Turbo Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

psu: CORSAIR 750w TX Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - CMPSU-750TX - Buy.com

ram: Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

hard drive: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

case: up to u but here are some popular ones:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 RC-590-KKN1-GP Black SECC / ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - NZXT TEMPEST Crafted Series CS-NT-TEM-B Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

cpu cooler: Newegg.com - XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks w/ this bracket: Newegg.com - XIGMATEK ACK-I7751 Retention Bracket - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

some sata dvd drive and ur set

RAM have bad timings.

Change GPU to Newegg.com - VisionTek 900244 Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Change CPU cooler to Sunbeam Core Contact

a good 24" HD monitor is goin to run you at least 300 bucks, I paid 500 for mine about 6 months ago. the monitor you have will do now good with new hardware.

if you decide to upgrade your monitor, think about nvidia 9800 gtx oc video, they run about 200 bucks, so 2 is around 400 dollars. the intel core 2 duo is a work horse and cheaper for your budget. 4 gb of ddr 2 ram will do just fine, you can up it to 8 later on.

look at newegg.com parts and prices, I am just throwing ideas to stay in budget.

get the gskill PI black, they are great at 1.8v and 4-4-4-12 timings. also the above post, the 4850 is a better buy then the 9800gtx+ despite the vanilla one. with a e8500, I45 itll be the ultimate gaming rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom