Pavilion CPU Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

csmertx

Solid State Member
My girlfriend left her laptop (HP Pavilion dv4000) *running* on the carpet floor overnight :( so now I'm looking at a mPGA479M socket Intel Celeron M CPU to replace. I came across a slightly faster 1.7ghz "479-pin Micro-FCBGA" intel Celeron M CPU on ebay. Both are socket 479, but what is the difference between mPGA479M and Micro-FCBGA?

Hello,

mPGA479M is 479-pin Micro-FCBGA.

In most cases, you can successfully upgrade a laptop's processor. On my previous HP nx7300 business notebook, I upgraded the Mobile Intel Celeron 1.73 GHz processor to an Intel Core Duo 1.83 GHz processor. One problem though, because the notebook's chipset didn't support dual-core, I had to disable dual core support in the BIOS in order for the laptop to be able POST. In effect, I upgraded to an Intel Core Solo 1.83GHz processor (as reported in CPU-Z) which is still an improvement since I benefited from a slight clock boost, EIST, larger L2 cache and lower power consumption.

When planning to upgrade a laptop processor, you need to be doubly sure on what socket you have. Use CPU-Z to verify which processor you have. Better yet, look open up your notebook and look at the label on your CPU, and the socket (which usually has the socket type engraved onto it).

It might also be a good idea to check if anyone else with the same notebook model has successfully upgraded their processor, and to which processor.

How do you know the CPU is what needs to be replaced?

No heat is coming from the CPU at all. Even after an hour or so of use, which usually is all the use I can get out of the laptop before it starts freezing up.

Hello,

mPGA479M is 479-pin Micro-FCBGA.

When planning to upgrade a laptop processor, you need to be doubly sure on what socket you have. Use CPU-Z to verify which processor you have.

Really all those extra bits of information threw me off, since mPGA479M and 479-pin micro-FCBGA are the same thing I wont have issues. I was reading mPGA479M directly from the mobo and Micro-FCBGA was in the ebay listing. Thanks!

well if it turns on then most likely the cpu is fine. their could be other things wrong with it

Fine as in it'll work for an hour then die? Maybe there's a power issue? I just can't understand the no heat issue. The laptop has been on the decline since it was left running on the carpet floor. I cleaned the clogged heatsink right after and it's been nothing but freezy freezy. About 80hrs of use later and I'm lucky if the laptop runs somewhat well for an hour. Out of flustration I gave the keyboard a few sharp taps and that actually seemed to bring it to life for a few seconds here and there.

Sounds like the fan that cools the CPU is dead. If the CPU was truely dead it would do nothing at turn-on. It wouldn't get past the POST screen before beeping at you and then turning back off.

If you can turn it on and use it for any period of time then something else is the issue. More than likely a heat issue. Within a laptop it is unlikely you can 'feel' any heat just because of the processor itself. The heat you are feeling is from the fan blowing the hot air away from the processor. Since you aren't feeling that it leads me to believe the fan is either dirty or dead. Spray air into the fan sockets and openings of the laptop and see if that helps.

That does make sense. I haven't noticed a change in fan speed but maybe there's some obstruction somewhere I can't see. I'll utilize some free compressed air from work and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom