Video....

Status
Not open for further replies.

n00bie379

In Runtime
I have got a pretty old Video card ATI Radeon 9600 PRO with 256MB of memory.

Also my motherboard ASUS P4R800-VM includes integrated video Radeon 9100 of maximum amount of 128MB.

The problem is: Sometimes, when lots of graphic required (when I play games or watch 3d of high resolution) my computer freezes, or, more often video card seem to just turn off - monitor turns black and visually it look like if the computer was turned off. But it works, the keyboard responds, and sound is running usually. Then it might be two variants: it either freezes over until reset button is pressed, or it awakes telling about some error...

What can I do to stop it, or at least reduce it?

Hope for help!

I think you need to mess with your settings. I think the graphics are too intense for the settings you have them at. Reduce your refresh rate and reduce the graphics within the game until you no longer have this issue.

I believe the card is just fine, but when you are 'working' the card really hard it may lockup for a short period of time b/c it coudln't handle the workload.

I tried to lower settings - resolution in games down to 640x480, and other settings down to minimum, but no effect. It continues to freeze. Moreover, I do not usually use applications with too high requirements, so I think the problem is in hardware... Video or possibly motherboard. Also I think integrated video creates some problems, unsure howbeit.

thats an agp card if I remember correctly, try looking for a ati 9800xt card, has alittle more punch! or if your mobo will support it, an nvidia 6800gt which I happen to have a working one, I may be willing to part with.

those older mobo's usually accept either ati or nvidia cards.

also check your memory, you want to max it out, prolly 2 gigs thats typical on the older agp mobos. that will ensure your processing is opened up as far as you can go aside from over clocking.

also check to see if you can put in a better processor. used parts for an older system like you have are real cheap, about 200 bucks, no more. otherwise you just over haul the whole system for about 1300.

so look at your cpu, your memory size and search around for a 9800xt ati or a nvidia 6800gt.

those will help marginally without getting a whole new system.

I tried to lower settings - resolution in games down to 640x480, and other settings down to minimum, but no effect. It continues to freeze. Moreover, I do not usually use applications with too high requirements, so I think the problem is in hardware... Video or possibly motherboard. Also I think integrated video creates some problems, unsure howbeit.
Then try replacing the video card to see if that alleviates the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom