DRAM Frequency...Which is correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first one is correct. However if your ram wasn't running in dual channel, Id be inclined to say #2 is correct also. Although I don't completely agree with it, when you run your ram in dual channel, you 'effectively' double your dram speed.
Eg.

800Mhz ram in dual channel: 800/2 = 400Mhz
800Mhz ram not in dual channel: 800/4 = 200Mhz

Im pretty sure I'm right, but by all means if it isn't right can someone please say something.

Chris

Dual channel does not double the speed, it only "theoretically" doubles the bandwidth. Think of a four-lane highway (single channel) vs an eight-lane highway (dual channel).

Dual channel does not double the speed, it only "theoretically" doubles the bandwidth. Think of a four-lane highway (single channel) vs an eight-lane highway (dual channel).

exactly right... dual channel (aka double sided) RAM has two 64-bit memory buses, as opposed to the single bus used on old DDR RAM, which allows the CPU to address twice as much memory at any given time, thus, as CrazeD said, theoretically doubling the bandwidth

actually most if not all DDR ram supports dual channel. It doesn't have to be dual sided. The term dual sided mean you have memory chips on both sides of the pcb. That is only a physical quality and not an electrical one.

actually most if not all DDR ram supports dual channel. It doesn't have to be dual sided. The term dual sided mean you have memory chips on both sides of the pcb. That is only a physical quality and not an electrical one.

oh yeah?? good to know... and here i was thinkin double sided had something to do with speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom