Advice on my new build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i would definitely go for the 4870 over a regular GTX 260, but the Core 216 will run just as well as an hd 4870... also, if you're considering a multi-GPU setup, you're gonna have to get ATI because the board you have isnt nForce based.

again, i'd also suggest the e8500, but if you're a die hard AMD fan the Phenom 9950 BE is a great OCing CPU.

the difference between 800 and 1066 is quite large in terms of bandwidth, the 1066s will offer more than 2000MB/s more theoretical read speed, but require looser timings than 800s... so in my opinion, if you know something about memory timings (or ask me), 1066s will perform better than 800s.

Hmm alright I'm thinking I should go with the HD 4870 512mb, and some 1066 memory, it should cost about the same or a little less as a GTX260 216 with 800 memory and an nForce board I don't particularly want (or a board I do want but no SLI capability).

Do you think it's worth switching to the Radeoh HD4870 1gb version?

Why would you ask for advice and then when given it, completely change it/go against it and do something else?

E8500
4870/260

If you really want the Phenom, go ahead its not my loss.
I'm sorry it seems that way when I genuinely am grateful, but I warned in advance that I'm a little irrational when it comes to switching to Intel and apologized; I can't afford the E8500 or a higher-tier Intel Quad-Core, the Q6600 isn't significantly better than the Phenom 9550, and I'd simply rather get a Phenom than the lower-end Core 2 Duo's again maybe not for any rational reason, but since I prefer AMD and for my uses I believe I wouldn't see a difference in performance anyway (in fact given the benchmarks I think a lot of what I'll be using my computer for will favor the quad-core, especially in the future).

Anyway sorry you feel that way but I mentioned my unwillingness to switch to Intel in the first post, so if you didn't want to help me based on that you didn't have to. Plus, I did afford Intel the courtesy of checking tons of different configurations on Newegg and reading to see if I could afford one/if it was worth it to me, and looking benchmarks/reviews, etc. because so many people suggested it. Also, I did heed (or seriously consider/research) all non-intel advice and significantly changed my system based on it; I am in fact trying to choose between the two graphics cards you suggested.

I like the q6600 as a build, but I think it would add costs elsewhere. I agree with the updated 260. I believe the nvidia clocks better when you allow the gpu to do some of the grunt work in some applications, plus I believe it has the physx already included (take it or leave it).

Reasons not to go with Phenom 9950.

125 Watt TDP
65nm tech

If you were to go with a Phenom you should get good cooling and grab a Phenom 9650 instead. Its lower TDP and overclocks about the same. Which is probably why newgg has been upping its price lately.

Or if you want to take PuddleJumpers advice the E8500 is 45nm, 65 Watt TDP, and will overclock 4.0ghz+ with G0 stepping.

FINE.

How about this:

Motherboard: Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8500 - Retail

Video Card: GIGABYTE GV-R487-512H-B Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

Memory: CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5 - Retail

Power Supply: Thermaltake W0106RU 700W Complies with ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V version SLI Certified 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Case: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Optical Drive:LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model iHAS120-04 - OEM

CPU Cooler: Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler - Retail

Case Fans: 2x APEVIA CF12SL-UBL 120mm Blue LED Case Fan - Retail

I'm a failure as an AMD fanboy, but I think the HD 4870 would be better since I have the option of using Crossfire with a motherboard I like more than an nForce board I'd need in order to use SLI.

This entire setup, after shipping and mail-in rebates is only $817. Any suggestions? Is this the best I'm going to do? Should I get a slot fan or something since the HD 4870 apparently runs quite hot? Also, do I really need the extra case fans/are they a good idea?

THANKS!

Alright thanks I agree, I'll switch to the ASUS P5Q Pro, I edited post #16 to reflect this.

This brings me to a grand total of $817.

Any more suggestions? I'm still curious about whether you guys think the two additional fans will be helpful or if they're just overkill, and whether I should get a slot fan or some sort of GPU cooler.

Thanks.

The HD 4870 runs pretty cool, and if its hot at first, use the Fan Hack to increase the Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom