Buy MacBook now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Power

Mr Beans Sidekick
I really want a laptop and the new MacBooks are looking like something I want. Now Im going to university in 2 year for computer science/programming... would this be practical for that? Seems like windows would be better, although I can just use XP on it for when I need it. Also will it still be decent to use around that time? Ill be in university for 5 years so this is 7 years for a laptop.

No laptop will last 7 years, plain and simple. Technology moves way too fast, which is why we typically recommend cheaper laptops and then you have the option to upgrade or replace later.

I would agree, a laptop lasting 7 years is rare. It happens, **** I still have my compaq from 2000 and it runs great. I also still have my HP from 4 years ago and haven't had to replace a single component (the compaq i had to replace the hard drive 3 times all within warranty).

I don't know where you are going to school at, but a Windows based system would be much easier to work with for programming and school. Don't get me wrong, before someone flames me. You can definately program within the Mac OS, you can also run most of the programs your school will give you within the Mac OS environment. But what your teachers will be teaching in, what your examples in your books will show, and what 100% of the software programs they give you will be compatable with is the Windows OS.

Again, this isnt' to say you can't use Mac, i'm just saying you are far less likely to encounter issues and there won't be as large of a learning curve if you use Windows since all of your examples, teachers notes, and software programs will be windows based.

My major was computer information systems from 2000 - 2003 and while that was a long time ago, everything we did was within the windows OS environment.

I'm majoring in Computer science now and atleast at my university a macbook wouldn't be a good choice. All of the first several CS classes reqire Microsoft Visual Studio so you have to use XP or Vista. After that the classes either contine to use Windows or use linux (I'm pretty sure they use Ubuntu).

Hello,

If you want one that much and you have the money, I say get a macbook.
I have to agree with Alvin.
I'm majoring in Computer science now and atleast at my university a macbook wouldn't be a good choice. All of the first several CS classes reqire Microsoft Visual Studio so you have to use XP or Vista. After that the classes either contine to use Windows or use linux (I'm pretty sure they use Ubuntu).

While this is true you can always dual boot with Windows thru Boot Camp which is now a part of Leopard.

I have to agree with Alvin.

While this is true you can always dual boot with Windows thru Boot Camp which is now a part of Leopard.

But its not a good idea for a student to spend more money on a macbook (which he is gonna have to run windows on anyways) when he can spend much less and get a very capable windows machine and save money.

The macbook can come after college though.

That is true as well. But if he feels that the MacBook will be the better investment for the long run that is also his choice.

The Mac can do Windows if needed. It can also run Linux if needed. While all this can be done on a PC Laptop it cant run OS X if needed easily.

While saving money could be a concern. IF they feel the MacBook is the better bang for the buck we shouldnt discourage it.

If you want to spend that much cash. Then I would recommend a Sager. If you don't mind lugging around a heavy laptop, it would allow you the ability to upgrade later on and depending on the model you get you would be able to get a quad core. That's just another option though. In terms of would the MacBook be worth it? No way man just to overpriced when it comes down to stuff like that it's all down to preference.

Personally I think it is better for you to get a pc instead of a mac, pc are more friendly for use and they with many more games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom