urgent temperature problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikee

Fully Optimized
today I noticed that my cpu temperature is quite high it was at 80c so i opened the computer up and the heatsink had detached so I reattached it as best I could and everything looks fine but the temp is still around 60c when normally its around 34-37c

I need help fast before this damages the cpu.

Hello,

How did the heatsink become detached? Is the fastening faulty or was it not properly installed?

Are you using the BIOS to read your system temperatures or a temp. monitoring program?

You should really clean off the thermal interface material from the surface of the CPU and heatsink and re-apply a new layer before re-attaching the heatsink. Use a good thermal paste/compound.

not sure but at the when i checked 2 of the screw things holding it in at the corners had popped up so I just took the whole thing off and put it back on

could the old thermal compound really cause this much of a jump in the temp?
the first thing I though is that the heatsink wasn't attached back on right but it looks like it is though

I'm using speed fan to monitor the temp

holy **** the bios says 84c but that can't be right I opened the case again and felt around and its not even hot at all and the air comming out the back of the computer isn't really hot which it would be if the temp was really that hot

anyone know what's going on here? i'm stumped

It could be a iffy temp sensor but i doubt it, make sure it's seated properly using a correct amount of thermal compound an you might notice a difference.

I find that speedfan understates my temps. 84c sounds about right if speedfan is saying 60.

Make sure you clear all the dust and theres good airflow.

I think there actually is a temp problem because thismorning I woke up and there was a bsod so i restarted then it said disk read error press ctrl alt del to restart so I did that and it started but then froze at the welcome screen so I'm just going to leave it off until I get some thermal compound.
I'll let you guys know if that fixes these issues.

ZeroTherm ZT-100 AA Grade Thermal Grease in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

is this the stuff I need?

ok its all fixed my temp is in the 30-36c range now and the computers acting normal now
Thancks for all the help with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom