E6600 vs E8400 vs Q6600 and OC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he is waiting that long then he might as well consider Nehalem.

but right now he can keep his ddr2 where as if he gets nehalem hel need to spend an extra 120$ on some ram. actually what i recomend is pick up a new mobo and gpu now. push alot more thru that cpu im at 3.6 and im using a quad so it gets alot hotter. im sure you could get just about that if not maybe even 3.7/3.8 depending on your cooler. so pick up a maximus formula 2 that you want, and get a nice gpu, then oc your cpu and you will be glad.

If he is waiting that long then he might as well consider Nehalem.

Nehalem like the second coming?

No offense at all, it just seems everyone is overhyping Nehalem.

if he gets nehalem hel need to spend an extra 120$ on some ram.

Yeah DDR3 maybe expensive, but if it means you can run a Nehalem or not. Then DDR3 doesn't sound so bad. Seeing how he'll only pay for ram once and by the time his ready for his next upgrade DDR3 ram will be significantly cheaper. You make it sound as if his paying 120$ for DDR3 ram every other day lol.

no point in buying ddr3 now to use with nehelam because you cant run ram with voltages over 1.67 with nehelam.

They're saying that DDR3 ram with 1.65V or higher can damage a Nehalem cpu. But you can't really prove this until you see it in action. And there is DDR3 out there with 1.5 voltages. So you could still use some DDR3 1600 if you already have it.

Nehalem like the second coming?

No offense at all, it just seems everyone is over hyping Nehalem.

How was that over hyping? My point is, we have a new platform coming, so if he is going to wait until when it gets here and spend that much cash anyways then why not just get the new stuff? As soon as Nehalem comes out you can expect DDR2 to be dead more or less anyways. AM3 will support it but as an after thought so you can pretty much expect the fabs to stop making DDR2 and focus on DDR3.

A 3.2 GHz Core 2 Duo is more than adequate for just about everything out there at this point in time. Sure having a higher OC might make the difference running a game from 70 fps to 90 fps (where the CPU is the limiting factor), but I don't think a higher OC is going to make a noticeable impact on where it counts which is anything below 50 or 60 fps (where the GPU is mostly the limiting factor).

I would just wait for Nehalem, you'll be happy you did. I was thinking about getting an AMD setup before Intel's Core 2 Duos came out, I'm glad I waited.

They're saying that DDR3 ram with 1.65V or higher can damage a Nehalem cpu. But you can't really prove this until you see it in action. And there is DDR3 out there with 1.5 voltages. So you could still use some DDR3 1600 if you already have it.

it has been proven, hense why all the big company's are making new ram, go and have a look in the new tech part of the forum, itl be there.

The voltage deal is well known and has been documented. I really dont see a big issue with it myself. The companies were making chips that exceeded the JEDEC specification for DDR3. I imagine its easier and cheaper to make them operate at higher voltages for the same performance. Now they have to play by the rules. My guess is it has something to do with the integrated memory controller. Since it is on die with the cpu it is closer to other important components and is on a much smaller manufacturing process now. So it makes sense that It can't take high voltages. When you make a semiconductor on a smaller fabrication process it will naturally operate at a lower voltage. I think this is no different. We were able to side step this for a long time because the MCH was on the chipset which was 90nm. And since it was not in direct contact with the cpu you didn't have the risk of frying it.

A 3.2 GHz Core 2 Duo is more than adequate for just about everything out there at this point in time. Sure having a higher OC might make the difference running a game from 70 fps to 90 fps (where the CPU is the limiting factor), but I don't think a higher OC is going to make a noticeable impact on where it counts which is anything below 50 or 60 fps (where the GPU is mostly the limiting factor).

I would just wait for Nehalem, you'll be happy you did. I was thinking about getting an AMD setup before Intel's Core 2 Duos came out, I'm glad I waited.

the new gen of gpus are so fats 3.2 ghz will actualy botle neck it heck, sli gtx260 will be botle necked by my q6600@ 3.6 you need to push over 4.0 to really let them get a run. so cpus are more important now with all these insanely powerfull gpu's. a great exampel of this is faster duel core procs with sli or crossfire cards outscoring slower quads with 2 more cores, but the same gpu's in 3dmark 06.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom