Random Freezes and Lockups in Windows and Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay guys, major issue here.

I finally swapped CPUs to my older e6300 chip. I installed windows, windows updates, and crysis and played it for a while with NO freezing whatsoever.

I install my Q9550 back and after installing windows, I think everything is fine, then I go to Windows Updates and it freezes after the first update downloaded. So I restart and I surf the web and it does it again. Then I try windows updates again and it updates them all. Then install Crysis fine and when I go to play, it freezes. The game doesn't show up at all. So the problem still exsists but I'm 100% for sure it's the Q9550.

What can I do to stop this? Is my chip messed up? I set volts and Multiplyer manually in mobo. My VID is 1.225 so I set it to that and it didn't change anything.

Thanks!

Sorry for the early bump. But I'd like some advice before going through the RMA with Intel. I don't want to send my CPU in without knowing I could have done more troubleshooting.

Thanks a ton!

Heh I guess it was 24 hours since I posted last. So the bump's valid. :D

I believe I did an update but I'll double check that.

Well, I did 1.275. I guess I could try 1.3 or 1.325 huh? I doubt that's the case though but it's def worth the try.

I did call Intel but I didn't have the CPU uninstalled from the heatsink to get all the info from the heatspreader. And I called like 15min before they closed so I couldn't complete the rma 'cause I had to uninstall the cpu. So I'll try those things and see what comes up before I call them again tomorrow.

Thanks again for the replys.

OKAY IM SO HAPPY I HAD TO DOUBLE POST!!! lol

I did a bios update a couple weeks ago when I first had this problem when I first got the board. The update was dated 8/20/08. I again checked the Asus website and there's a new one dated 10/2/08! This one specifically "Enhances CPU compatibility with certain Yorkfield C1 stepping CPUs". Which is exactly my model.

Now it works like a charm with no more freezings. Thanks a ton guys for the help and cvb for mentioning to update bios again.

I also raised the voltage to 1.3 when I updated at the same time, so I'm gonna try setting it back to the CPUs vid. It should work now though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom