My New Asus N50, where's the videocard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daMurk

Beta member
Hello guys, I got this strange problem and hope you can help me out.

Last friday (17th october) I got my Asus N50VN-FP001C (Intel c2d P8600, nvidia 9650M GS, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HDD, Blu-ray drive). I haven't really done much with it since I'm too busy with my study at the moment, but I did notice something when I unpacked it. The sticker that tells which videocard is inside it told me it contained a NVidia 9650M GT, instead of the GS that should actually be in it. So I was thrilled that there had been such a mistake (obviously :laughing:), and I started computer and checked if it wasn't just a bad sticker; it wasn't, it also said 'GT' in configuration screen and everest ultimate edition.

But now I'm doubting whether I actually have a graphics card. When I open GPU-Z it gives me the following: ImageShack - Hosting :: naamlooslh5.png And at the tab 'Sensors' it says GPU core clock 169mhz / Memory clock 100mhz ö...

And when I play a simple game like Warsow at high quality, it is laggy :S

Now I know that the 92xxM/93xxM/96xxM etcetera have a nvidia 9100M chip inside for power saving (and possible SLi when in Hybrid powermode), but I think that the 9100M is now active on my laptop and I don't know how to 'activate' my 9650M GT (at least, this is what I think that the problem is, maybe the 9650 isn't even there....).

All very weird :( Help.

From what I understand, the problem could be with warsow. Try a different game. Laptop GPU's act weird sometimes in order to save power (down clock), so I would assume the problem would lie in the software.

When your laptop is not plugged into the wall(running off battery) It downclocks everything(cpu,gpu) like the poster above said to save power. Now they also do this sometimes even when plugged into the wall.

The way i found around this is in control panel under power settings take it off of "laptop/portable" and put it on something like desktop or always on. You should see improved performance. This will also stop your CPU from throttling up and down as you open and close programs and just leave it at its max clock speed.

Well Sapper you're right I should try an other game. Maybe the combination of Vista and Warsow doesn't work out that well.

But can you explain the data that GPU-Z displays about the videocard? I mean, that MUST be from the 9100M (considering the Pixel Filrate of 1.1 Gpixel/s, that being the only point of measurement since not much more is filled in ..)

edit: King, you were right at all, apparently I only tried it when I had it unplugged from electricity. Now when it is plugged in the clocks are normal at the sensors tab :).

Laptop GPU's drastically underclock on low-power modes. It wouldn't surprise me that a 9600M would clock down to 169 to save power. My 8600M GS clocks down to like 200 on low power mode, though I edited it up to like 260 or so by modifying the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom