laptop screen blacking out and freezing after boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyledogg

Baseband Member
I have a client that i am working on for a customer. I have never seen anything like this before.

When you turn the laptop on and after it boot and when you login to windows the screen turns off. Sometimes instead of the screen turning off the computer just locks completely. You can even press ctrl alt and delete.

Im thinking maybe that there is a problem with the harddrive, motherboard, or there is a loose connection on the screen.

I cant run any diagnostic tools on the laptop as when i boot from cd, it also freezes.

Can anyone give me any input into this???

Thanks
Tyler

Try resetting the bios to default. Try logging in safe mode and rolling back the video driver.

Sounds to me like there is a conflict w/ the video drivers.

Havent tried resetting the bios yet, but i did try and boot up in safe mode, computer just locked out on me.

Well a repair install of XP w/ the XP CD ONLY overwrites the Windows folder. As it is a method of reinstalling windows over the original install. It is recommended that you should backup needed information before proceeding. I've done it a handfull of times on computers that i couldn't backup or my client didn't want me to backup (b/c of the extra cost) and their files were still intact.

Easiest way IMO to backup the computer is to take out the hard drive and connect it to a USB converter, then plug it into a working computer that has the disk space to save their files onto.

Well a repair install of XP w/ the XP CD ONLY overwrites the Windows folder. As it is a method of reinstalling windows over the original install. It is recommended that you should backup needed information before proceeding. I've done it a handfull of times on computers that i couldn't backup or my client didn't want me to backup (b/c of the extra cost) and their files were still intact.

Easiest way IMO to backup the computer is to take out the hard drive and connect it to a USB converter, then plug it into a working computer that has the disk space to save their files onto.

ahh i never read what you said, i must try the repair install tonight and see if that cures her problem. I was thinking that there might be some corrupt files.

As for the backup, i dont have the usb converter.

I'll get back to you later tonight and let you know how i get on.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom