Advice on my new build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassionBlue

Solid State Member
Alright, I'm trying to build a new gaming / general purpose PC; I'm trying to do so as cheaply as possible, and I've come up with the following setup.

Processor: AMD Phenom 9950 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 140W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor - OEM

Video Card: PNY VCGGTX260XPB GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Motherboard: MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Memory: CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5 - Retail

Power Supply: Thermaltake W0106RU 700W Complies with ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V version SLI Certified 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Case: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Optical Drive:LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model iHAS120-04 - OEM

CPU Heatsink/Fan: Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler - Retail

($806 after shipping and mail-in rebates @ newegg)

And basically I just wanted to check with people who actually know about this stuff to see whether these are good choices.
I'm wondering:
1. Is all of this compatible, and will all of this fit in the case (and will there still be good air flow)?
2. I have some arctic silver thermal compound already, so in addition to the aftermarket heatsink/fan that I'm getting, is there anything else I need, seeing as I'm buying just the processor itself?
3. Should I buy extra fan(s) for my case, and if so how would I go about doing that?
4. And most importantly, do you have any suggestions? I'm extremely open to different setups/possibilities, and really appreciate any help you can give me.

The one thing I will say though, is that I'd rather not switch to Intel; I know, they're faster, they're better, I'm not denying it and I'm not claiming that this is a rational decision, but I'd still rather stick with AMD (partly because I don't think the Q6600's a big improvement over the Phenom 9950, can't afford the higher-end Intel quad cores and would would simply rather go with a Phenom than something like an E8400, and I've just always been an AMD man for better or for worse). You can still try and convince me and I promise I'll consider it, but I doubt it'll happen.

So that being said, I'd be extremely grateful for any tips or suggestions you guys have.

Here's a list of components I've been considering as alternatives/thoughts I've had:

Newegg.com - NZXT Alpha Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Open Window - Computer Cases
(NZXT Alpha Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case)

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-R487-512H-B Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
(Radeon HD4870 with not terribly great reviews, but for cheap)

A different CPU cooler?

Thank you!!!! I really appreciate anyone taking the time to help me out (I know this is a long post).

EDIT: Fixed links

You would be better of with an E8500 and TP43 combo:

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops +
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP43D2A7 LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Also, get the 260GTX Core 216. Its un updated version of the 260GTX and its quite abit faster.

Also this RAM is around $60 after MIR:
Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Then, i guess its better to go with a 750TX Corsair PSU for future upgrades and because its usually found pretty cheap. And ive heard good things about that cooler but the Xigmatek Rifle is an alternative.

Hope i helped.

thats lookin like a really dope build... i would, as zedman already said, suggest the Kingston PC2-8500 RAM... its surprisingly cheap, and in all my experience Kingstons tend to OC quite well. also, i wouldn't recommend a Tt PSU, the corsair that zedman recommended is working out great for me... you should be able to get a huge OC outta that CPU, but it'll still never compare to intel's offerings on such things as SuperPi (mainly because of the small cache)

EDIT: oh yeah... thats a pretty good cooler, but if you want a sick OCing heatsink for a bit more cash, you cant go past the Noctua NH-U12P... absolutely amazing, near silent cooling

thats lookin like a really dope build... i would, as zedman already said, suggest the Kingston PC2-8500 RAM... its surprisingly cheap, and in all my experience Kingstons tend to OC quite well. also, i wouldn't recommend a Tt PSU, the corsair that zedman recommended is working out great for me... you should be able to get a huge OC outta that CPU, but it'll still never compare to intel's offerings on such things as SuperPi (mainly because of the small cache)

EDIT: oh yeah... thats a pretty god cooler, but if you want a sick OCing heatsink for a bit more cash, you cant go past the Noctua NH-U12P... absolutely amazing, near silent cooling

Bah, i just saw the timings... dont bother... lol. Go for these instead:
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

And the Xigmatek is the best at this moment i believe.

you should be able to tighten the timings quite significantly... Kingston's just REALLY conservative when it comes to timings... i'm running mine just fine at 4-5-5-15 almost 25% above they're rated frequency even though they're only supposed to do 5-5-5-15 at 800MHz... OCZ is always good RAM though...

First of all, thank you for your replies!

You would be better of with an E8500 and TP43 combo:

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops +
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP43D2A7 LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Also, get the 260GTX Core 216. Its un updated version of the 260GTX and its quite abit faster.

Also this RAM is around $60 after MIR:
Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Then, i guess its better to go with a 750TX Corsair PSU for future upgrades and because its usually found pretty cheap. And ive heard good things about that cooler but the Xigmatek Rifle is an alternative.

Hope i helped.
Alright, I'll consider switching to an E8500, though I would ideally like to have a motherboard with at least 2 PCIE Express 2.0 slots in case I want to add another video card later (though it's unlikely I'll want to).

And yeah I was looking at the 216 core GTX-260, but I couldn't find a setup where it wouldn't add $60-70 to the price, and I know it's significantly faster but I don't think that for me it would be worth it, but I'll look into it. I'm trying to stay away from anything that was recently released and focus on older components with prices that have already dropped enough for me to afford them, but are still powerful. I'm going for the best possible price:performance ratio, as opposed to top-of-the-line performance. And regarding memory, I was wondering how much of a difference there is between 800 and 1066? Because it would be costing me I think around $35 more (taking into account the $10 savings I have through a combo deal that doesn't exist for the Kingston or OCZ RAM mentioned) to switch to 1066. So would I really notice that much of a difference? I seriously doubt I'll overclock anything other than my processor.

EDIT: oh yeah... thats a pretty good cooler, but if you want a sick OCing heatsink for a bit more cash, you cant go past the Noctua NH-U12P... absolutely amazing, near silent cooling
I originally chose the Corsair 750W PSU, but the Thermaltake 700W costs the same and allows me to save $50 on the GTX260 (192 core version), or $45 on an HD4870 512mb. So do I really need a better PSU, considering it would add $45-50 to my cost? The Thermaltake is pretty well reviewed, so unless you guys think it will actually cause problems for me I'd rather save the money. I really like the Corsair PSU but it didn't seem to me like it was quite worth it, given the combo deals with the other one.

Overall I'm grateful for your suggestions and I think they're all great, but I'm not sure I can afford them; I'll mess around with my newegg cart though.

Also, should I switch to this video card (the ratings are not that great, will that be a problem do you think?) Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-R487-512H-B Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards (HD 4870 512mb) It's extremely cheap.

Edit: I was also wondering if I really need an nForce motherboard? Seeing as there's a very low chance I'll use SLI. And I found that I can upgrade to the 750W version of the Thermaltake PSU and the 216-core GTX 260 for an extra $30, would that be a good decision?

Thanks!

You could change to the 4870 if you want, its a great card.

Also i would get the Thermaltake if it saves you some money, its a perfectly fine power supply. The Corsair 750tx is only recommend much higher above it as its trusted, Corsair are a great psu company and it has a great single 12v rail which would power nearly any system.

Also the E8500 will perform a lot better than say a 9950 or a q6600 as dual cores perform 5-10% better clock for clock. It should be a great rig and I'm sure it will play anything full.

Now I'm leaning towards just sticking with the Phenom 9950, switching to the 216-core GTX 260, and adding two of these 120mm case fans: Newegg.com - APEVIA CF12SL-UBL 120mm Blue LED Case Fan - Case Fans

Any thoughts/suggestions? Are these good ideas? (other than the 9950 which I know no one will think is ;))

Edit: here's my full current setup:

Motherboard: DFI LANPARTY DK 790FX-M2RS AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Processor: AMD Phenom 9950 2.6GHz Socket AM2+ 140W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor Model HD995ZFAJ4BGH - OEM

Video Card: EVGA 896-P3-1265-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Memory: CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5 - Retail

Power Supply: Thermaltake W0116RU 750W Complies with ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V version SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Case: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Optical Drive:LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model iHAS120-04 - OEM

CPU Cooler: Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler - Retail

Case Fans: 2x APEVIA CF12SL-UBL 120mm Blue LED Case Fan - Retail

I found a pretty epic combo deal that allowed me to get the GTX 260 216-core and the 750W PSU for only $330 after mail-in rebates. Though I could also get:

that^ for only $265 which is ridiculously cheap, but the card doesn't have the greatest reviews and the PSU is 700W (though it is highly reviewed and should be plenty).

So are the extra 2 fans a good idea? Is the Antec 300 good? Do you guys think all this will fit? Should I get an nForce motherboard instead (though I seriously doubt I'm going to use SLI if I get this card), and overall what do you think of this setup? Altogether it costs $850, after shipping and mail-in rebates.

I really appreciate anyone taking the time to respond to this!

Why would you ask for advice and then when given it, completely change it/go against it and do something else?

E8500
4870/260

If you really want the Phenom, go ahead its not my loss.

i would definitely go for the 4870 over a regular GTX 260, but the Core 216 will run just as well as an hd 4870... also, if you're considering a multi-GPU setup, you're gonna have to get ATI because the board you have isnt nForce based.

again, i'd also suggest the e8500, but if you're a die hard AMD fan the Phenom 9950 BE is a great OCing CPU.

the difference between 800 and 1066 is quite large in terms of bandwidth, the 1066s will offer more than 2000MB/s more theoretical read speed, but require looser timings than 800s... so in my opinion, if you know something about memory timings (or ask me), 1066s will perform better than 800s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom